AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have decided to redesign my home audio/video setup to save the hassle of constantly reconnecting wires. I ordered the parts and put it all together, in the end I need to manually re-plug the wires to switch between Mode A and Mode B.

Everything works great with Mode B, but my problem lies with Mode A and the projector.

There are constant horizontal lines that are moving upwards and the screen will go blank for 2 seconds out of every 20 seconds.

My initial guess is that the 50' cable was killing the current, so I tried a 30' cable. Unfortunately that didn't fix it.

I also tried taking Mode A and bypassing the switch, directly into the Cable Box. Again, same issue. A friend suggested that the VGA Gender Changer could be introducing a lot of static, but I figured I'd post here before ordering anything new.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this problem?

Thanks!

Dimava

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Waht type of PJ first off as this is a CRT Projector Forum, but it looks like its your component to VGA. You need something to transcode Component to VGA they are not the same signal, a break out cable wont do it. you need a Component to VGA Converter box:

Like this:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Box1040.shtm

Athanasios

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, you're absolutely right, I made a mistake by posting in the CRT Forum. The projector is a Sanyo PLC-SW35. I'm looking for the function to move this thread but it appears that a Mod will have to.

I also understand that the signals are different, however this projector has a built-in transcoder that can accept Component signals over VGA.

thanks,

Dimava

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
You have a ground loop problem which will go away when you isolate the cablevision/satellite ground from the projector ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Curt, thanks for the reply. So in other words you're saying to connect the Cablebox ground to a seperate power outlet than the projector?

Right now the projector uses a (grounded) plug on one side of the room. The cablebox doesn't have a ground prong. It's a two-prong plug and it's on the other side of the room with a different outlet. The switch box also has a two-prong plug which happens to be a transformer.

thanks,

Dimitri

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
All equipment should be plugged in on the same circuit so they have the same ground potential, additionally if your cable distribution bar is grounded to another circuit it can cause the ground loop even though everything is connected to the same outlet circuit.

you can see if its the cable connection by disconnecting it from the cable box, if the horizontal lines go away then thats your problem and you can either ground the distribution bar for all your cable to the same plug as your equipment( not easy to do) or get a ground loop eliminator for your cable.

Athanasios

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The same problem happens with the Xbox 360 and Wii inputs, so I think it's more than the Coax cable.

I will run an extension cord and try both devices on the same circuit. Thanks for your input and I will post back shortly.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Even if the cable box is not on it will cause the ground loop.Even when not selected.

Athanasios

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone! Putting all of the equipment on the same circuit fixed the problem... you guys rock!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts