AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Windows Vista, the latest build of PowerDVD Ultra 7.3, NVidia Go 8600M GT (DX10) GPU on my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa) T7300 processor. I'm trying to play both a 1080i movie encoded in H.264 with 5.1 AC3 audio (in an mp4 container) and a 720p VC-1 encoded movie. Although I have purevideo enabled in PowerDVD settings, the moment I start one of these movies, the check box becomes unchecked and greyed out. The information tab says 'DX acceleration not in use'. However, purevideo works fine with standard DVD's. Since my configuration supports purevideo HD, and PowerDVD also shows the 'purevideo HD' icon on its main window, I should be able to accelerate H.264 and VC-1 as well! Please help me on how I can get this to work. I'm really confused. Thanks.

P.S. I have the latest drivers (169.21).

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Make sure you have the latest patches for PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.

The 169.21 drivers are XP drivers. The latest Vista drivers are 169.28.

Are you only using PowerDVD to play your DVDs and not Media Center?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I thought Vista had its own codec.... I seem to recall people complaining that Vista is not as friendly in that sense that it thinks one codec fits all. I seem to recall a utility for Vista that will allow one to change the default codec and it's not the standard MS XP codec utility...

Or maybe you need to get the Vista version of PowerDVD from the cyberlink site.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The Vista Media Center decoder is ony a MPEG2 decoder and it does not call any Vendor specific graphics card features such as PureVideo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts