AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I connected an RCA DTC-100 to the VGA port on my Pio 503 for OTA HDTV reception. The HDTV image is crystal clear but it is squished horizontally so there are 5 inch wide black bands on the left and right sides. The Pio allows no real options when an RGB source is connected in this way. It says it is in "Full" mode and that is that! The screen size button is defeated and there is no sizing option in the menus. The "display" button says 1125i, which is what it is apparently supposed to say for a 1080i signal according to the manual. I do have the 5002 option card installed which allows HDTV thru the VGA port. I told the RCA's menu that my monitor is an HDTV widescreen which is VESA compliant.

If I switch to a 4:3 standard def UHF signal, it goes into the "fake" wide mode (as per the setting I selected in the RCA settings for a 4:3 source) but even this image is still 1 inch indented from the left and right edges. I would rather save the component input on the Pio for a DVD - so I don't want to use RCA's VGA to component adapter. It would seem like the VGA signal would be the gold standard..but it is giving me fits. Thanks for any advice. PlasMAN

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have the same setup here and it looks great, particularly with OTA HD. Entire display is filled with no bars.

Is your DTC-100 set up for widescreen 16x9 display in the setup menu?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Prince Vlad
Have the same setup here and it looks great, particularly with OTA HD. Entire display is filled with no bars.

Is your DTC-100 set up for widescreen 16x9 display in the setup menu?
Thanks very much PV. I feel much better knowing that you have the same setup and it works. I was trying it again last eve on CBS HD here in San Diego and during a show it spread out to within 1 inch from the edge on each side (same exact size as the "full" mode for 4:3 and was absolutely stunning). During commercials it went to the squished mode with 5 or 6 inches on each side. No gray bars to be found on either size - so I'd better be careful re: burn-in. This DTC-100 was an "open box $300 special at the Good Guys here in San Diego and I'm wondering if it has the latest firmware. I understand this can be downloaded from the satellite - but no satellite dish here... Can one take this to an RCA service center and get it flashed?? PlasMAN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.