AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently updated (long overdue) my Gentoo box and now mom's XP laptop can no longer access the printer which is attached to said box. It says "Access Denied" which it's always said, but it printed anyway previously.

I'm using the same smb.conf file, but what's different is nmbd fails to start.

I haven't begun researching this, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem (granted I know that most of you use *buntu).

I probably just need to update the kernel (currently using 2.6.19.3), although I don't know for sure what that might have to do with it.

Here's some relevant info:

Code:
Code:
[email protected] ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
 * samba -> stop: smbd ...                                                [ ok ]
 * samba -> stop: nmbd ...                                                [ !! ]
 * samba -> start: smbd ...                                               [ ok ]
 * samba -> start: nmbd ...                                               [ !! ]
 * Error: starting services (see system logs)
 * samba -> stop: smbd ...                                                [ ok ]
 * samba -> stop: nmbd ...                                                [ !! ]

[email protected] ~ $ tail /var/log/samba/log.smbd
[2008/06/25 20:08:11, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
  smbd version 3.0.28a started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2008
[2008/06/25 20:08:11, 1] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(3533)
  WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
[2008/06/27 19:54:14, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
  smbd version 3.0.28a started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2008
[2008/06/27 19:54:14, 1] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(3533)
  WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated

[email protected] ~ $ tail /var/log/samba/log.nmbd
  reload_interfaces: No subnets to listen to. Waiting..
[2008/06/27 17:46:34, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:reload_interfaces(239)

[email protected] ~ $ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2008/06/25 20:06:18

[global]
        workgroup = MSHOME
        server string = Linux
        interfaces = lo, eth0
        security = SHARE
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /var/log/samba/log. %m
        max log size = 50
        acl compatibility = winnt
        server signing = auto
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        printcap name = cups
        preferred master = No
        domain master = No
        ldap ssl = no
        guest ok = Yes

[RX580]
        comment = Epson Stylus Photo RX580
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        printer name = RX580

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[Share]
        path = /mnt/share
        case sensitive = No
        strict locking = No
        msdfs proxy = no
[email protected] ~ $
Just wondering if anything jumps out at you.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, a kernel update (to 2.6.24-gentoo-r8) has solved the nmbd startup problem, although I have absolutely no idea why. The XP laptop, however, is still trying to delete the printer (I tried to delete the printer in order to re-install the drivers). It says its status is "Pending Deletion", and because of this it won't allow me to add the printer as a new device. And, yes, the spool is empty.

So, it won't delete the printer, and it won't let me add the printer because it won't delete the printer.

God, I hate Microsoft.

Looks like a fresh install for the laptop, LOL

----------------

Now playing: The Prodigy - Hyperspeed (G-Force Part 2)

via FoxyTunes

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Incidentally, the video on this box is pretty much completely hosed now...using AGP FX5200, LOL, with nvidia drivers 173.14.09. I'll double-check kernel options, but I think it's just done. Also, the IVTV drivers won't compile now, as well, but I can fix that even though I'm not using the PVR-150 anymore.

It looks like EOL for my baby-girl, but she still has some good media to offer up (bless her heart
)

----------------

Now playing: Cocteau Twins - For Phoebe Still a Baby

via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Wow, I feel for you. It almost sounds like a clean install of the latest Gentoo is needed.

{I'm a Ubuntu user though, with a lot less linux experience than you.}

Your XP not deleting the printer driver is unusual too. What brand of printer do you have? I can see that problem if XP is told that the printer in on a network (remote) - you might want to try to change the printer properties (however, if XP is trying to delete it, that trick may not work either). My experience with HP printers is that they are a little more user friendly under XP (their Linux drivers are a little buggy, minor, though - but not they do work).

Have you tried to to select another printer (on the XP PC) as the default? Did you use the "Add/Remove" function to do the driver delete? I'm just throwing out possible options. I too have come to hate MS, but my other half doesn't want to change (she really despises Vista though).

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Claus.

No need to reinstall Gentoo. I just discovered that I had previously unmasked the nvidia drivers for some reason, so I re-masked them, but it's still showing the same version, so I'll just DL an older version from nvidia. I'm not using the PVR-150 in this box anymore, but I can just RTFM to get it working again. The IVTV drivers are picky about which kernel options need to be compiled as modules.

I expect things to break after not updating for a year or so. I never updated this one because I didn't have any kind of backup for it and everything was working well.

All hope is lost on the XP laptop as far as printing is concerned. My only option is to fresh install. In the past, when I had trouble with a printer driver not deleting in XP, it was because there was something in the spool. That's not the case, however, this time. I even manually killed the spool process. I expect you're right about it not deleting because it's a network printer and it can't find the resource. Wait a minute, I *haven't* tried to uninstall the drivers with Add/Remove.
Thanks for mentioning that, I'll give it a shot.

BTW, it's an Epson Stylus Photo RX580 and it works great in Linux (yes, scanning, too!) with the Gutenprint drivers.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You can always try booting into Windows "safe" mode, with or without network activation. I think you use the F8 key at boot to get to the boot selection menu.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed all Epson printer drivers and software in safe mode (thanks, you guys...it's been a while since I've messed with Windows), but it's STILL THERE "Pending Deletion"!

Also, the printer spool says it's empty (and also "Access Denied"), but a status message I saw when trying to print a test page says 2 documents were pending (although CUPS says "No Jobs"). So this is why it won't delete.

I'm not sure about the "Access Denied" thing, though, because, as I mentioned, It's always said that but it would print anyway. I'm guessing there's been some kind of security increase in samba and I should probably make sure that I have permissions set up properly. If I get that figured out, the XP box will send the pending docs and finish deleting the printer so I can install it again.

Any suggestions are certainly welcome!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Are the "pending docs" on the XP or on the Gentoo box? If they are on the XP, then you should be able to find what directory (folder) they are in and manually delete them (either in Windows Explorer, or from the DOS mode, command prompt, from XP or a reboot into the command prompt, DOS mode).

NOTE: If you don't remember, C:/> help gives you a list of the switches (adding " /p" gives you one page at a time & "Enter" goes to the next page). Also, "cd .." and "cd ." works the same as in Linux/Unix (in case you've forgotten). Just like working with the Linux command line

{I have the advantage of having started out with MSDOS and 8080/Z80 machine code (+Basic) 32 years ago. I added C and Pascal several years later, all self taught. I even learned how to embed machine code into Basic in order to play music (William Tell Overture, melody only) on the speaker (just combinations of 1's & 0"s) , way before there was anything like a sound card - courtesy of an IBM software manager in my computer club.}

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The docs are printer test pages on the XP box - at least 2 of them, anyway. There must be a temp file somewhere that sends stuff to the spool (on the Gentoo box, in this case, which shows "No Jobs") as it's persistent across boots.

I also started out in basic (TRS-80 Color Computer) and later DOS on, what was it, the 8088? around 25 years ago. All self-taught, as well. I had a subscription to a magazine that had tons of basic programs specifically for my TRS-80, and I'd spend days keying them in. Many of them had bytecodes for assembler and, I later discovered, C routines. I later *studied* C and C++ and skimmed over java and PHP, but I don't have any real practical experience with them. I did write a web page javascript routine around '01 that loaded up an XML file full of limericks, displayed one properly formatted, and let you use the kb or mouse to flip through them crazy-fast-like. No big feat, but fun, nonetheless.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mythmaster,

Have you tried cleaning the print spools using cleanspl.exe, available in various Windows Resource Kits? Here's a couple links. The first is a detailed article on cleaning XP print spools, removing drivers, etc using cleanspl.exe as well as manually using regedit. The second is Microsoft Server 2K3 Resource Kit tools including cleanspl.exe.

Clean Up XP Printer Drivers / Print Spools
Resource Kit Tools

Good luck...

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsiff /forum/post/14192689

mythmaster,

Have you tried cleaning the print spools using cleanspl.exe, available in various Windows Resource Kits? Here's a couple links. The first is a detailed article on cleaning XP print spools, removing drivers, etc using cleanspl.exe as well as manually using regedit. The second is Microsoft Server 2K3 Resource Kit tools including cleanspl.exe.

Clean Up XP Printer Drivers / Print Spools
Resource Kit Tools

Good luck...

Thanks, Jim. I wasn't aware of that tool. I'll give it a shot when the opportunity arises.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a side note, reverting video drivers back to 169.07 has absolutely no affect on the nuttiness of the display...random and frequent black screens plus distortions galore. So, I have to assume it's kernel-related. Now to back-track the kernel w/o breaking nmbd, LOL.

She will never be able to receive another update...RIP

Moral: back up well before you update frequently

Edit: then again, the video card could simply be crapping out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts