AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Have a problem with my new reciever.

I have a computer conected to my Sony STR-DG720.

The video is conected with HDMI.

The audio is conected with digital koax since my computer cant send audio with HDMI.

The problem is that i cant get them to work together.

The video works but the audio only works if i remove the HDMI cable.

I have read that there might be a problem that the reciever wont let me use the koax while the HDMI is conected.

Anyone have the solution to my problem?

/Johan

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joogaa /forum/post/15429676

Hello!

Have a problem with my new reciever.

I have a computer conected to my Sony STR-DG720.

The video is conected with HDMI.

The audio is conected with digital koax since my computer cant send audio with HDMI.

The problem is that i cant get them to work together.

The video works but the audio only works if i remove the HDMI cable.

I have read that there might be a problem that the reciever wont let me use the koax while the HDMI is conected.

Anyone have the solution to my problem?

/Johan

wow.. almost same issue as you.. here is my story.. its almost identical..

I just put together a media pc (sage). My video card has dvi, so I bought an adapter that does dvi to hdmi. I also bought a good audio card to do 5.1 that has optical out.

So I have a set up that goes, PC ->dvi converter to hdmi-> that plugs into the SAT IN hdmi on back of receiver. Then PC ->optical out to SAT IN.

I have video perfect, but no audio. If I unplug the hdmi from SAT IN, I get audio. There was a setting in the audio menu that I even tried changing (D. ASSIGN)

I too would love some advice.. I am about to call Sony.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 720 (and 820/920 too, I believe?) give audio priority to an HDMI input regardless of whether another digital audio source (coax/optical) is assigned to it. You can assign one of the optical inputs and the coax input to any video input, but if that video input is HDMI then the receiver will ignore the optical and coax audio inputs. That is why the audio works when you unplug the HDMI cable Joogaa.

Joey3002 - I also have an HTPC connected to my DG720. But because of the HDMI limitation, I use a DVI to VGA cable to connect my HTPC video directly to my TV and use the assignable optical for digital audio from the 720.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried going into the menu and I think it's option 5 "Audio". In there is a sub menu for "Assign" that option allows you to assign the Coax and Optical Inputs to one of the channels.

Definitely shows that I can assign Optical to the Sat Input

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9038 /forum/post/15724272

Have you tried going into the menu and I think it's option 5 "Audio". In there is a sub menu for "Assign" that option allows you to assign the Coax and Optical Inputs to one of the channels.

Definitely shows that I can assign Optical to the Sat Input

I've tried it with no success. I think with HDMI plugged into Sat it will only play audio via the HDMI.

Has anyone been successful w/ assigning optical to SAT, and having HMDI plugged into Sat for video - and ended up with video from the HDMI and audio from the Sat optical in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having this same exact issue a few months ago and then I stumbled across some helpful information. Apparently, the receiver will disregard the audio in for that source since the hdmi cable is plugged in. What you have to do is keep the hdmi plugged into the SAT input, but run the digital audio into say the "TV" input. Now switch the receiver to SAT to get the video, then switch it to "TV." You should now be able to hear the audio, and since there is no video input plugged into the "TV" port, it will keep showing the last valid video source, which happens to be your SAT input.

It's kind of an annoying little workaround, but it should work. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That workaround might work for you and me, but I bought this unit for my folks who are technology-challenged and it's a non-starter. Sony really botched the design here, if they allow you to re-map the digital audio inputs via Digital Assign, why on earth wouldn't they allow that to over-ride the HDMI audio.

I have a PC hooked up with a DVI-to-HDMI cable and coax audio, and an older cable box with DVI-to-HDMI cable and sp/dif optical audio and I am really peeved that the receiver ignores the audio-remapping for those HDMI inputs.

I'm going to have my folks get a cable converter box with HDMI so that should solve that problem, but I'm going to have to go through some hoops to get the PC to pass audio & video over an HDMI cable (will probably have to get a new vid card that supports that).

If anyone figures out a way to over-ride the HDMI settings on this receiver to force it to use coax or sp/dif audio, please let me know.

-m

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.