AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February 2006 I had a complete home theater system professionally installed with a new Sony VPL-VW100 projector as the display. The projector displays on a 100 in Stewart Studio Matte 1.3 screen and has consistently given us a great picture. We use this home theater as our primary TV viewing area and the projector is turned on 3 times a day and is used, on average about 2 hours per day. After about 1.5 years the projector was returned to Sony for failure to consistently ignite the lamp. Sony successfully solved this problem by replacing the ignitor circuit, but when the projector was returned to me its lamp made a high pitched squealing noise every time it was turned on. The projector was returned a second time to Sony, but when we received it back, the lamp was still squealing. Using this forum I discovered the solution to this problem and disassembled the lamp housing removed the lamp and replaced the white thermal paste with the recommended Arctic silver grease.

About 2 months ago the projector began to intermittently fail to display a video signal on start up. The lamp always ignited properly, but no video signal was displayed on screen. By trying three different HDMI cables and then by-passing my Integra receiver entirely via a direct connection between my Time Warner HD cable box and the projector, I have been able to demonstrate conclusively that the projector is the problem -- not the cable or the Integra receiver.

This is an intermittent problem. I have run the projector occasionally for up to 10 days without seeing the failure to display a video signal problem. At first the problem could be solved by shutting down the entire system, waiting until the projectors red ready light came on and then restarting the system. However, I soon began to experience repeated failures and once recently I had to repeat system shutdown and restart 5 times before the projector displayed the video signal on the sixth try. The projector fails to display a video signal on average about once every 3-5 system starts.

My options seem to be to either pay to have the projector returned to Sony for repair or to purchase a new projector. I fear that if I send the projector to Sony, Sony will turn on the projector and see that it displays a video signal, and send it back with no repair work done just as they did with the squealing lamp problem.

My questions are: (1) Do you think there is much of a chance that Sony can diagnose and fix this intermittent video display problem, i.e. is it worth the cost of returning the projector for repair? (2) If I replace the projector with an equivalent unit, what models/brands would you suggest I consider? Specifically, I have been considering switching from Sony to JVC to see if the reliability of the JVC projectors has been better than what I have experienced with this Sony VPL-VW100.

Thank you for reading this long post, and for any advice that you might give to me.

Tom

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would try Sony and see if they will upgrade you to a VW200. Explain the problems you had with the PJ as you have done here. Sometimes it will get you far depending on the customer service, other times it won't get you anywhere. Depending on budget I would say RS25/35 if your considering the JVC's.

Others will chime in here, so you can have more input.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Tom,

Is there a setting where you can hard code the input to use? i.e. set the source input to HDMI instead of Auto / Scan? I thought I remember having the same problem. I'll check next time I turn mine on.

I am also wanting to upgrade my Ruby and looking for the best option for equal or better quality. My main complaint was the DI. I mask down to 2.35:1 and the black bars cause the iris to clamp down making my scope movies darker than 16:9. But without the iris, the CR isn't good enough. JVC rs15 has 2x the CR, no DI, and more lumens. I'm considering that as a replacement since I'm not in a bat cave and don't know if I would benefit from the better spec'd rs25/35. Only thing that worries me is motion blur... I thought it was a LCoS issue in general and I just wasn't picky enough to see it in the last 2 generations, but it's sounding more like its something specific to JVC's latest chips.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sheradp and Rabident,

Thank you both so much for responding. I am certainly at my wits end at what to do with this VPL-VW100. It has truly been a love-hate relationship. I love the picture quality and have hated dealing with the reliability issues and Sony's repair department.

Rabident I have looked into the HDMI vs. Auto Scan and I am using the HDMI setting not Auto Scan so I don't think that is the problem as I have experienced it both ways.

I shall look carefully at the JVC models you have suggested, but I am also considering a Sony HW15.

My dealer, who has been very helpful throughout all of this, has suggested we try an HDMI amplifier since we are using a 35 foot run of Tributary HDMI cable between receiver and projector. I'll give that a try before making a final decision.

Again, thank you both so much for responding, and I welcome input from anyone else very much on this issue.

Tom

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GJohnson1712,

Thank you for responding. Because of the location of my projector and cable box it would not be easy to try a short (6 feet or less HDMI cable). The projector never showed this problem during the first 3 years that I used it with the 35 foot Tributary cables installed by my dealer. This problem began only 3 months ago after the projector had been installed for over three years. During my first 2 years with the VPL-VW100, I had the cable box connected directly to the projector via a Tributary cable with HDMI into the cable box and DVI into the VPL-VW100. That cable worked fine for over three years, but now shows the same problem as the HDMI cable running from my Integra receiver to my projector, i.e. intermittent failure to display video on the screen. I find it unlikely that two 35 foot cables would have gone bad at the same time.

I am currently debating whether to spend the extra money for the JVC's or not. How do you feel the JVC projectors (and which models) are better than the HW15 that you have? Do they have better black levels, etc.?

I would love to know how the JVC projectors compare in reliability to Sony's projectors. When I bought the Sony VPL-VW100 four years ago it was Sony's high-end projector, but I have had a lot of trouble with it and thus I don't really know whether spending more for the JVC would give me any greater reliability or not.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Tom

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Remove power for an extended time for all components involved.

Power up display and then set it to the correct HDMI input, then power up the next thing inline (usually the AVR / Processor), then once again put it on the correct HDMI input for your main source, then power on the source.\\

I fix HDMI issues such as yours all the time for people by this proceedure.

Doesn't mean it won't happen again to you though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,

I have tried just about every solution to this issue I can think of including some very close to what you suggest. For example, I have disconnected all power from the VPL-VW100 projector for 5 minutes, then reconnected the power to the projector and turned on the components in different orders. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem because a few startups after doing the above, I again experience the failure to display video problem.

I do appreciate your help, and thank you for the response.

Tom

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I wish I was there to help trouble shoot it.

So basically, you have one HDMI input on the projector and right now it's looking like the input has failed?

I don't run into it very often, but it does happen.

Try component video for a while?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John,

Many thanks for your kind help and responses. The Sony VPL-VW100 has one DVI input and one HDMI input. I have a 35 foot Tributary cable with an HDMI connector on one end and a DVI connector on the other end. I have tried this cable directly connected from my Time Warner cable box (HDMI) to the projector (DVI). I also have a Tributary HDMI on both ends cable that I run from my Integra 7.9 receiver's monitor HDMI output to the HDMI input on the Sony projector. Finally I have a new 35 foot HDMI cable loaned to me by my dealer that I have tried in place of the HDMI to HDMI Tributary cable. In all three of these configurations I have found intermittent failure to display video on the screen.

I do have a component connection to the Sony projector, but I have found that component on the VPL-VW100 does not give as nice a picture as HDMI so I really do not want to go down that route, and I would also have to reconnect all of my components via component cables which I am reluctant to do.

In summary, if the failure is at the Sony projector, then at least two ports (both the DVI and the HDMI) are showing the same problem.

My next move before replacing the projector or getting it repaired will be to try a Tributary HDMI amplifier that my dealer has offered to loan me to see if I still have the problem.

Again, thank you so much for reading my posts and responding.

Tom

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler /forum/post/18285310

I am currently debating whether to spend the extra money for the JVC's or not. How do you feel the JVC projectors (and which models) are better than the HW15 that you have? Do they have better black levels, etc.?

I would love to know how the JVC projectors compare in reliability to Sony's projectors. When I bought the Sony VPL-VW100 four years ago it was Sony's high-end projector, but I have had a lot of trouble with it and thus I don't really know whether spending more for the JVC would give me any greater reliability or not.

Tom,

Vigga has an rs25 and he lives over by Duke. Maybe we could we could invite both ourselves over to see his. I had a JVC before my Sony. It worked well for me, but the guy I sold it to was buying it because his had issues. I'm not sure reliability is better one way or the other. I've got crickets in my vw100, but the JVC's have had their share of design issues over the years as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having been a retailer previously, ask to speak to a supervisor high up at sony, and politely explain and request a brand new product to replace your continued nightmare..Maybe offer to pay something..to make up a difference, in receiveing a newer better product, but you should receive signifigant discounts and should be able to receive satisfaction...Be polite all the way through....

Worth a shot, as I found most manufacturers I ever dealt with to be very fair and willing to solve most problems.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rabident,

At this point I am still trying to determine if the problem is with my Sony VPL-VW100 or with 35 feet of HDMI cabling between my receiver and the projector. My dealer has suggested that we try a Tributaries HDMI amplifier in the line and see if that solves the problem. If so, that would be a lot cheaper than buying a new projector. I am currently trying to catch up with my dealer to take him up on the offer to loan me the Tributaries HDMI amplifier to try.

If you have crickets in your VPL-VW100, I promise you they can be solved by removing the white thermal paste that Sony uses on their bulbs and replacing it with Arctic silver thermal paste. I had two bulbs that were producing very loud crickets and I cured both of them by replacing the white thermal paste with the silver thermal paste with absolutely no adverse results on bulb life, brightness, etc.

Tom

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
procol33,

My dealer who installed the Sony VPL-VW100 has an excellent relationship with Sony. However, until I am able to prove that the problem is with the projector and not with the 35 feet of HDMI cabling, I am reluctant to involve him with Sony on this issue. He has suggested that we try a Tributaries HDMI amplifier, and I am currently trying to catch up with him to try this potential solution. It is hard to believe that three different cables would all show this problem or to explain why I had no problem for over three years and now I am suddenly having a problem with the cable, but the HDMI amplifier is a cheaper solution than buying a new projector but common sense dictates that I explore that first.

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tom,

The JVC will have better contrast and deeper black. It also has other features that the HW15 does not have (e.g. FI). I can't comment on reliability; and unfortunately reliability data is hard to come by. I'm enjoying my HW15 with no issues.

Greg

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John,

Again, thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I could do as you suggest with the DVD player. However, this afternoon, my dealer loaned me a new Tributaries HX100 HDMI amplifier and I have now put that in the line between my Integra receiver's HDMI out and the projector. So far I have started the system twice with no problems getting video to display. However this proves nothing as I have sometimes gone 10-13 days without a problem. For now, I shall have to see if this solves the problem over the long haul.

Component has never given me as good an image as HDMI with the Sony VPL-VW100. Before going that route I shall just replace the projector.

Tom

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GJohnson,

Thanks. That is good information and I appreciate hearing your personal experience with the HW15. I spoke with my dealer today about various projectors and he suggested that i might also consider the Sony VPL-VW85 as a step above the HW15. I wonder if you have seen the VW85 and have any opinion on how it compares it black levels with the JVC projectors you have seen? To me, excellent black levels are critical to getting a good 3D looking image.

Last summer my dealer loaned me a VPL-HW10 for about a month while my VPL-VW100 was being sent back to Sony for the second time. I was quite impressed with the image quality of the VW10, although I thought that it did not quite equal that of my VW100 (nor should it considering the price difference between the two projectors). It is my understanding that the VW15 is a significant improvement in image quality over the VW10 and my dealer felt that the image quality of the VW85 was "about 15-20% better than the HW15". I would be interested in your thoughts on any of this. Thanks again.

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the HW15 is better than the HW10 by a noticeable amount. I liked the HW15 more than the VW60 too. I haven't seen the VW80, but from the reviews I've read it is close to the current JVC projectors in performance. The VW80 also has features the HW15 doesn't have: FI, anamorphic projection mode, better color tweaking, and supposedly a better (sharper) lens.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GJohnson,

Thank you for your comparison of the HW10 and HW15, and, indeed, for all of your help in this thread.

I installed a Tributaries HDMI amplifier in the HDMI line form my INtegra receiver to the Sony VPL-VW100, and it has now started up four times without the slightest problem. I am hopeful that this is a long-term solution to the intermittent video display problem. I will be quite happy if I can get two more years out of this projector because I have a new spare bulb and assembly that I would like to use replacing the projector.

Again, thank you for your kind help.

Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts