AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M-Audio Delta Dio 2496 sound card, and a Sherwood Newcastle R-963 receiver.

I have the sound card connected to the receiver via TOSLINK optical digital cable.

Sometimes when I go to play CD Audio sound (MP3 or WAV 44.1) I get no sound out of my receiver. Not even Windows sounds via the control panel work.

DVD audio ALWAYS plays back fine.

I'm using Media Center with ASIO playback and this happens quite frequently - usually once a day. It mostly happens after I haven't used the PC for a while. It can also happen right after I turn the PC on.

Sometimes, if I startup FOOBAR with kernel streaming, I get sound. Then if I flip back to Media Center, - I get sound. It's like FOOBAR "fixes" my output to the receiver, then Media Center is OK. I'm still not sure if this is a software problem or not.

I'm running the M-Audio Delta .29 release drivers, under Windows XP.

The Delta control panel shows sound output happening on it's level meters, just no sound out of my speakers via the receiver.

It seems to me it's some sort of sync problem between the sound card and the receiver.

Anyone have any ideas or other things to try?

I don't have another receiver with digital in to test. If I need to change the receiver, I only have some old ones with analog input.

Any help appreciated,

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

You should see if the Audio cable to your drive is connected, or at least Digital Audio is enabled. You can do that by:

Go to My Computer

Right Click on CD Drive - Choose Properties

Hit hardware

Choose your CD drive

Click on the Properties button

Click on the Properties tab

Check Enable Digital CD Audio

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I wasn't clear.

All the sounds are played from files on my HD.

The only sounds I have problems playing are WAV's or MP3's.

I don't play any physical media on this computer.

If it was a cable, it wouldn't work sometimes and not others.

Andy

·
Registered
202 Posts
just a hunch, what are the SCMS settings for your DiO? consumer or professional?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I found the .29 drivers to be unreliable as it would not switch out of "pro" mode after playing a DVD and had similar symptoms. Try the older .27 drivers, they work correctly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My SCMS settings are on "consumer".

I will go and try the .27 drivers. I'm new to these sound cards, and just assumed the current driver would be the best (silly me).

Ironically, I do experiece sorta the opposite of what you described. Actually PLAYING a DVD, then quiiting the dvd software and playing MP3?WAV sound seems to work 100% of the time.

It doesn't make for a very wife friendly HTPC though. :(

I'll go and try the .27 drivers and report.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the .27 drivers, and I have the same problems.

They didn't seem to make a difference one way or another.

Any other ideas?

Andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems Media Center is playing sound reliably if I don't use the ASIO output mode.

If I choose "Directsound" it works fine.

Is it possible Media Center ASIO and Delta Dio 2496 drivers are incompatible?

Or is it possible that ASIO in general doesn't work too well off of Delta DIO 2496?

Andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To follow up on my own problem I have narrowed it down to Media Center, and ASIO playback.

If I playback via Directsound, I get sound, if I choose ASIO, i get none.

Does anyone else use a Delta Dio 2496, Media Center and ASIO playback?

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.