AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've got a very difficult room to work with. It's shaped like a rectangle. Two walls have large open entryways (no doors). Another wall has a large fireplace. I haven't measured in a while, but I think the room is around 12' X 20'.

In the attached image you can see how I have my speakers setup. The yellow oval is the spot we most commonly sit in and that probably won't change as it's the most comfortable spot, but that of course causes a problem with 5.1 sound. Further more, there are these problems:

a) All speakers are tower speakers. As such, both surrounds are blocked by furniture...particularly the right surround which is completely surrounded by a couch and the wall

b) Being so close to the left surround means we barely hear the right surround at all (especially with the right blocked).

Any suggestions? Should we crank up the right surround? Should we recalibrate it from our off center sitting area, rather than the center of the room? Should I switch to a 7.1 setup? Any other ideas?

Here's the equipment:

Center: Boston Acoustics VR10

Fronts: Boston Acoustics VR960 Tower Speakers

Surrounds: Boston Acoustics VR30 Tower Speakers

Sub: Cheapo soon to be replaced

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D509S (soon to be replaced)

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty /forum/post/16960608

Hey folks,

I've got a very difficult room to work with. It's shaped like a rectangle. Two walls have large open entryways (no doors). Another wall has a large fireplace. I haven't measured in a while, but I think the room is around 12' X 20'.

In the attached image you can see how I have my speakers setup. The yellow oval is the spot we most commonly sit in and that probably won't change as it's the most comfortable spot, but that of course causes a problem with 5.1 sound. Further more, there are these problems:

a) All speakers are tower speakers. As such, both surrounds are blocked by furniture...particularly the right surround which is completely surrounded by a couch and the wall

b) Being so close to the left surround means we barely hear the right surround at all (especially with the right blocked).

Any suggestions?

None that you will accommodate. There are other things wrong with the setup, too, such as having the RF in a corner while the LF is in the middle of a flat wall. The easiest things might be (1) move yourself to the other couch and (2) replace the rear towers with smaller speakers than can be placed where they are not blocked by furniture. (Alternatively, you might elevate the rear towers to the same effect.)

Quote:
Should we crank up the right surround? Should we recalibrate it from our off center sitting area, rather than the center of the room?

?? You ALWAYS calibrate to the listening position, not to the center of the room. That should correct some of the balance problems.

Quote:
Should I switch to a 7.1 setup?

No. It is bad enough now.

Quote:
Any other ideas?

Rearrange the room.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response!

I calibrated while at the center of the back room because I figured when company is over, they'll be on the other couch. But I guess it might be time to redo it.

Unfortunately because of windows and stuff, I can't rearrange the room, As that is the only wall that fits the entertainment center...and it's a nice one so I don't want to get rid of it. But yeah...as you mentioned it makes the right front be not so ideal. That part isn't too bad though.

I also thought about elevating the surrounds so they're not blocked. Haven't done it just because I haven't come up with a great solution of how to do it and also avoid vibrations. I'll think more about this.

I thought 7.1 might make up for the loss of the other speakers, but I guess not.

Thanks for help! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16960644

Rearrange the room.

+1... switch the couches so the comfy one is in the theater, not outside it... there are better arrangements, but like Kal said...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/16967409

+1... switch the couches so the comfy one is in the theater, not outside it... there are better arrangements, but like Kal said...

Wish I could...Unfortunately I can't. The problem, which the image doesn't show, is that the bigger couch on the left is in front of a bay window (a real bay window where the entire wall juts out for it). If I switch the couches, then the bigger couch would end about 1/3 of the way in of the bay window and it looks really bad. And, unfortunately, the entertainment center doesn't fit on any other wall.

Gonna work on recalibrating the receiver, and seeing if I can raise the rear speakers.

Thanks though!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty /forum/post/16969863

Wish I could...Unfortunately I can't. The problem, which the image doesn't show, is that the bigger couch on the left is in front of a bay window (a real bay window where the entire wall juts out for it). If I switch the couches, then the bigger couch would end about 1/3 of the way in of the bay window and it looks really bad. And, unfortunately, the entertainment center doesn't fit on any other wall.

Gonna work on recalibrating the receiver, and seeing if I can raise the rear speakers.

Thanks though!

Entertainment centers are the bane of good audio setups. Too constraining.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16970128

Entertainment centers are the bane of good audio setups. Too constraining.

Listen to Kal. He's the sage with never-ending wisdom...

Compared to calibrating to get a good experience from this config, it will probably be easier to move the bay window.

Or the fireplace.

The acoustics would be rather unconventional, complicated, and a general no-no, but you just might get lucky setting the entertainment center up katty-corner (sp?)...

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/16970714

Listen to Kal. He's the sage with never-ending wisdom...

Compared to calibrating to get a good experience from this config, it will probably be easier to move the bay window.

Or the fireplace.

The acoustics would be rather unconventional, complicated, and a general no-no, but you just might get lucky setting the entertainment center up katty-corner (sp?)...

Yes but there is another side to consider. For many (most?) people, the sound is decidedly secondary to other domestic considerations. It is certainly a valid choice, especially when accepted with understanding.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16972675

Yes but there is another side to consider. For many (most?) people, the sound is decidedly secondary to other domestic considerations. It is certainly a valid choice, especially when accepted with understanding.

True, true... I actually find myself in that situation more often than I'd like as well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts