AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having an issue I hope you can lend some advice with. I recently subscribed to MLB.TV to stream to my two Panasonic Plasma Smart TV's that have the MLB.TV app built in and to my new Sony non-Smart LCD TV an Apple TV box attached. I also stream games occasionally to my computer. I'm using a Linkys EA6400 router and a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem and I have Time Warner Cable as my internet provider with a large amount of broadband capability - way beyond the requirements of MLB.TV.

On all devices, from different manufacturers - and different devices - TV's and computer/s, there is an funky issue with the image quality. The games do not look like they do when you watch them on traditional TV, Satellite or Cable. say on ESPN or Fox. Rather than looking like live video - vivid and clear - the games look like you are watching them on film - like you are watching a movie of a baseball game. The best way I can describe it is the difference between a matte photo versus a glossy print. Rather than looking "glossy," the games look "matte," sort of on the dull side. I'm not having any issues with buffering or sustaining the image - it's just that the games do not look like I expected them to look - that is, the way they do on Satellite and Cable.

The image looks this identical way on all devices, including my computer/s. I've also used a Roku 3 box in place of the Apple TV box and experienced the same results. I've checked my TV settings, and there was no change. I spent a good amount of time with Linksys Tech Support, thinking it could possibly be the router and that wasn't the case as the tech had me plug the modem into my computer via Ethernet cable and the picture looked the same.

A tech at MLB.TV is looking into the issue but they say they've never heard of this before. This problem is not limited to MLB.TV however, as when I viewed the free preview of Hulu Plus on my Panasonic Smart TV's, I chose a video clip - shot and broadcast on videotape, and it looked like a film versus having the visual texture and look of video. However, ruling out the router, where does that leave the issue?

I'm hoping you may have some insight into this and/or some tweaks or tips to help solve this situation. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Most sporting events in the US are broadcast at 60Hz - either 720/60p (with 60 frames per second) or 1080/60i (with 60 fields per second), or in SD 480/60i (with 60 fields per second).

Most streaming services, however, don't use 60Hz, and instead will use 30Hz or 24Hz. There are a few exceptions (some YouTube content is 50Hz or 60Hz native on some platforms) but in the main you'll get half or less the image rate on online streaming services than you will on broadcast outlets.

As a result the online streaming services appear to be jerkier and less fluid. They are the one source that I enable the "soap opera effect" on (Motion Flow on Sony sets) to help mitigate this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.