Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My Bravo was working fine until today. I put in the DVD "The Family Guy" (disc 3) and first it was taking a long time to load. All of a sudden I heard this weird noise I guess was coming from the DVD player drive (inside). Noise lasted like 5 seconds. Then just the word "Loading" and nothing else. I left it like that for 10 minutes, after nothing was happening I hit Eject.....nothing happens. Now I press the power bottom on the DVD player itself. It shuts off, and then when it turns on again the word "loading" appears again, this time followed by "no CD"

Keep pressing eject and the words open, close appear for a brief second but it then goes back to loading without ejecting the dvd or doing anything else. What to do? Should I just call Vinc and have it shipped back to them? I assume it is still under warranty :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
Try a DVD that has worked previously. The Bravo is occasionally picky about certain DVDs. At first I thought it was because the DVD was SUPERBIT, but apparently not. It plays 98% of everything I watch, and it plays the DVDs beautifully, but some it simply will not, even brand new, out-of-the-box DVDs.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Keep pressing eject and the words open, close appear for a brief second but it then goes back to loading without ejecting the dvd or doing anything else.
Guys, he can't get the DVD out of the player. How is he supposed to try a different DVD when the player won't eject the one that's inside?

Try unplugging it. Give it a while then plug it in and give it another shot. If it still won't eject email Vinc and ask them if you can take apart the player to remove your disc before you send it back. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Sounds like the Loader Tray is jammed or the Tray Motor died. I have not seen any manual eject hold with these units.

Contact V inc. as the previous post indicated and till them you need to get the disk out of the unit. The unit cover is fastened with 2 screws on each side of the cover and 4 on the rear. After you remove the screws, you would have to tilt the cover up from the rear, pivoting at the front of the unit. Then pull the cover away form the unit at about a 50 deg. angle. There is a cover lip that slides under the plastic front panel trim.

John

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggestions guys, like Kysersose says, the tray is jammed so I can't change DVD's. I will try unplugging the unit and then try again, if not I guess I'll have to contact Vinc and try to open the unit myself, this is too bad because I've been happy with this player so far :(

Thank you!

·
Registered
429 Posts
That's what I had to do with my second unit to retrieve disks. It got to the point where I just left the cover open till my third unit arrived. OBTW, the third unit hesitates periodically on every disk I have fed it so far. These things are maddening, arn't they!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Jerry,

That's why many of us just replaced the loader.

Then we have to deal with firmware problems. I bought a $30 Pioneer DVD drive but it would skip a chapter upon layer change. Now I use a $120 DVD-CD-RW drive that works mostly OK, requiring power cycling after one DVD is played as it tends to freeze on menu's.

Jim Noyd is promising a firmware fix, which would enable almost anyone to replace the loader with a quality computer loader for about $30. It would be nice if Vinc put in a quality drive and priced it just a bit higher (they'd make more money without all the returns, even if they had to junk the Fuss loader). That's an ironic name for the loader - Fuss(y) ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after trying the power thing ( did not attempt to open the unit myself) I got a call back from Vinc and they will send me a replacement player. At least they are responsive and are willing to help out, hopefully I won't have to wait long to get my replacement D1!

·
Registered
429 Posts

Originally posted by Rich4av

That's why many of us just replaced the loader.

Then we have to deal with firmware problems. I bought a $30 Pioneer DVD drive but it would skip a chapter upon layer change. Now I use a $120 DVD-CD-RW drive that works mostly OK, requiring power cycling after one DVD is played as it tends to freeze on menu's.

Rich,

That probably is a solution, however I thought I was buying a DVD player not an AV project. Believe me I have many unfinished projects to deal with. As I look back I have spent way, way too much of my time trying to get at least one of the three units I have had to work. I have a complex AV system rack and to just change the thing out takes me over an hour, mainly because the D1s power cord is not detachable as others are. I admit I am getting better and faster at it with all the practice I am getting...however this is practice I wish not to have had.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 1st post, can't tell you all how much I've learned and shared with other friends looking to purchase HT equipment, infinite thanks!

My D1 is approximate 30 days old, and works mostly ok, EXCEPT, Saving Private Ryan absolutely will not load. Applied all the tricks & tweaks, still no go. Tried using the Maxell disc cleaner, it starts but sound skips all over the place, disc does not progress smoothly thru the cleaning process, and I hear a strange grinding sound. Scared the heck out of me, but player seems to work ok afterwords. Still no go on Private Ryan though. Picture is great (HLN 50"), but what a pain this thing is. I may purchase a 2nd "known good quality" player as a backup (or try the loader replace), but feels wrong to have to do that.

GL

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Jerry,

Yes, I did not want a project either. But the Fuss(y) loader is not built for quality but low cost. The only other option was Momitsu (same thing). Both units include many components made by Sigma Designs, which may even be providing the loader for all we know.

Jim Noyd promised a firmware fix so that we can use quality but inexpensive drives, such as my $30 Pioneer drive sitting on a shelf.

Ross,

Please check the Replaced D1 Loader thread in this forum for details. Right now, Pioneer drives do not work (they skip a chapter at layer change). Toshiba and others DVD drives work OK in general. It's important to pick a quiet drive...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rpgoldberg
How can one simply replace the loader? I would think it wouldn't be compatible with the firmware, would it? Or is it? Comments?

Ross
Its actually quite easy once you go through the threads on how others have done it. Do a search for Loader and D1 or replacing loader and D1. I have replaced mine with a sony loader and have had almost no issues. Almost because I ran into some kind of anomoly early on but everything is good now.

Have fun Cheers,

Requis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay, I bought an HLN507, a SIR-T351 and a HD-931. Problem is, only ONE DVI input. How are people getting around this, is there a switch available??

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Repl unit is actually working great....I was just very curious as I would have though you'd run into software incompatibilities, but apparently not. The unit I got with a serial in the 1900s is working great. I've almost decided to sell my DV-37, but I must admit I really hate to part with that unit...it's been a fantastic DVD player over the past few years!!

Ross

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fivespeed
Okay, I bought an HLN507, a SIR-T351 and a HD-931. Problem is, only ONE DVI input. How are people getting around this, is there a switch available??
There was a switch mentioned over in the >$5000 Projector forum. Look for a post by Bytehoven.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I recall reading about that...I think it started with G or Gr....I know...not much help. I seem to recall reading they had two different switches on their web site....one was around $500 and I think the other was about half that price, though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fivespeed

Try this thread and also search "Gefen" because they have new HDTV DVI switches due out later this month.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=311449

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.