AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having 2 problems with my E20 and were curious is this has happened to other people?

1-It will start to record and about a minute or 2 later the whole unit shuts down. After having to unplug it. I usually can records again. And it does not show the original recording as on their.

2-I put a disc in and it just keeps reading and will not recognize the disc. But, after putting the disc back in once or twice it will work. Problem is when I am timer recording.

At first I thought it might be my "Primediscs". But, even when they are not recognized at first and I reinsert them they record and play fine. It also seems to only happen after something is already recorded on the disc. For example. When I put a new disc in, it works fine, even with the timer. But, after I tape one tv show and then want to put another on. Is where I have a problem. But, like I said earlier. Once in gets recognized they work fine. I have not (knock on wood) not been able to use a disc. I am wondering if alot of these problems with all of the dvd-r brands is actually a hardware issue. I am going to call Panasonic today and asked them what might be the cause.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got off the phone with Panasonic. They said that even with defective dvd-r discs. It should not shut off like that. So it is a problem with the unit. So now I have to send it back and get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Before you send it back, why not try using a few other type discs to see if the machine shuts down.

I NEVER had my machine lock up until I started messing with the PrimeDiscs. And now that I got rid of them, my machine is back to normal.

It may be worth a shot on your part. I'd hate to see anyone tinkering inside your machine if it really isn't necessary--know what I mean?

Regards,

Peter M

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have now done three timer recordings (one instantaneous and two scheduled later) on the same PrimeDisc and it seems to work just fine. Before this disc I did recordings on two other PrimeDiscs on the E20 as well with no hitches. This doesn't necessarily mean that you did not get a bad set of discs; however, I thought it would be a useful data point for you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I also have the exact same 2 problems. The unit will turn off after 2 minutes or so of recording if I put in incompatible media such as the DVDPro or Princo. I know other people can use the Princo without a problem. I usually don't need to unplug the unit with the exception of the PrimeDisc.

I don't have problems with the Apple brand, but I understand they are manufactured in different location. The SmartDisc brand from CompUSA , and the RitekGold disks work fine too.

I wonder if Panasonic changed partdistributors or something. I think I picked my unit upo around the same time you did. (It's the champaign color and not the black unit.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
zipbags and Dan Bither,

What is the manufacture date of your E20 units? Mine is September, 2001. Have you tried the Smart Discs or Apples since you began having problems. This is really odd.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My primediscs seem to have a problem recognizing only after I have recorded something. For example when I put a empty disc in. It will read fine, record fine, even use the timer function fine. But, after I have something on them. It will have a problem loading. I have to do it 1 or 2. But, after that it works ok, until I have to record a third time. And once it is finalized. It plays fine. I think the E20 has some problems with the primediscs, when they are partially finished. I will get some other brands to confirm. But, as long as they seem to record when I can do it (non timer after the first record) I will keep using them, until prices come down on other brands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.