AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I purchased the Kenwwood 5900 to replace my Sony 850 200 disc dvd changer. The first disc I inserted was Star Wars. After loading and reading (which was very slow), the unit started to vibrate, sort of like a mild version one of those magic fingers bed massagers in the motels. It did smooth out after the opening scenes. I tried reloading this disc several times, all with the same result. I also tried other discs, such as The Coors Live at Royal Albert Hall, Belly, Meltdown, Superbit Desperado, The Magnificent Seven, and Romeo Must Die. Some of these vibrated more than others, and some never smoothed out. I also reinserted these discs into my Sony changer, and there was no vibration on playback.

This vibration was very audible on low passages, and very annoying. I believe the picture and audio quality beat the Sony ( which is run through an Iscan Pro), but this player was obviously slapped together without much thought to quality control.

Upon removing all the discs from the Kenwood, I looked inside the unit from the loading door with a flashlight. The flanges of the case at the rear left corner were just bent in to fit the unit together with no precision whatsoever. While this will not affect the units performance, I think this is indicative of the lack of care used to assemble the unit I purchased.

All in all, I am very disappointed, and am returning it today. If I decide to exhange it, I will audition the exact unit I am purchasing before taking it home.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just reuturned from the store where I purchased this changer. Their demo player exhibited this same behavior, although to a much less extent, and it is in an entertainment center, behind a glass door, which also helps muffle the noise.

They did have one more player in stock that we attempted to try out. However the loading door would not open.

In my opinion Kenwood should be ashamed of themselves for releasing what is supposed to be their flagship with such poor quality control.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You probably know this already, but just in case...

The first time you plug in the 5900 it must be turned on with the remote, so the door won't open until it has been turned on first with the remote. After which it will turn itself on when you try to open the door.

-apnar

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks apnar,

We did turn it on with the remote. The door trys to open, but is apparently binding on something inside.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Nothing of the sort happened with either my 5900, or my 5050 (which is the same unit without faroudja processing, and dvd-audio). This is the first I've read of this, but, obviously, let's get ready to rummmbbblllle . . .

Had to say that. Get a new one, and it won't shake.

Nick :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Yeah, No problem here.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I just got my 5900M a few days ago. Haven't had time to do much with it yet, but it definitely didn't "rumble" on the few discs I've played so far. In fact it was very quiet as DVD players go. I have to agree with you on the build quality, however. It's not to the level I'd expect in a $1500 flagship player. Especially when I compare it to the tank-like Sony 9000ES it's replacing in my system. I will miss that player, but the 5900M definitely has better PQ so it will stay in my system. Oh well, the Kenwood seems to offer great performance in spite of it's relatively flimsy build quality. Let's just hope it remains reliable in the long term. There's a lot more to go wrong with one of these mega changers than a simple single disc transport.

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the local dealer here got a bad batch of them, however all three units they have demonstrated to me have had something wrong with them (2 vibrated & 1 bad loading door). Even one of the salesman said my unit sounded like a lawn mower.

When the dealer receives some more I will try again, but I am less than thrilled with the build quality and quality control. I should point out that many people had problems with the Sony Changer I use currently, but it has worked like a champ for me. It just all depends whether you get a good one or a bad one.

I would also like to say that the local dealer has handled my problems in a very professional manner, and I do not fault them at all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Most likely I'd say that the shipment to your dealer got abused during shipping. The chances of 3 units that are broekn in some way getting through quality control all to the same location is very slim. On the other hand they were all probably shipped together and probably took a beating along the way.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Blake
I just got my 5900M a few days ago. Haven't had time to do much with it yet, but it definitely didn't "rumble" on the few discs I've played so far. In fact it was very quiet as DVD players go. I have to agree with you on the build quality, however. It's not to the level I'd expect in a $1500 flagship player. Especially when I compare it to the tank-like Sony 9000ES it's replacing in my system. I will miss that player, but the 5900M definitely has better PQ so it will stay in my system. Oh well, the Kenwood seems to offer great performance in spite of it's relatively flimsy build quality. Let's just hope it remains reliable in the long term. There's a lot more to go wrong with one of these mega changers than a simple single disc transport.

Tom
Tom:

I understand where you're coming from on the build quality, but it may not be the most useful comparison to juxtapose a changer with any well built single disc player. Keep in mind that we're talking two different animals here, one of which has to have multiple moving parts to accomodate storage and selection. While I'm no engineer, it doesn't surprise me that the build quality comparison you're making simply can't be replicated, or would be utterly cost prohibitive, in a 400 disc changer.

That said, however, I can say with a high degree of certainty (because I've owned them all) that the Kenwood changer boasts a far better build quality than any other changer on the market. But you can't avoid lots of plastic in a machine that has to navigate 400 discs, including flipping them if necessary. I suppose you could, but then it might be slower than it is (although the "slowness" is not a big factor, or even bothersome to me).

Proof's in the performance, though, no? I vouch highly for mine, and don't even use he progressive outputs.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Nicholas,

Points well taken. I realize it's not a valid comparison to contrast build quality on a beautifully constructed single disc player like the Sony 9000ES to a 400 disc changer. I'm glad to hear you feel it's the best constructed changer you've seen. I popped the cover on mine to get a look at it's innards. I have no problem with the transport quality and expected a lot of plastic there. However, I would liked to have seen more robust case construction and a better power supply in a high end changer. The power supply, in particular, seems very wimpy. I'm also a little concerned that these units were built in China vs. Japan. I wonder if Kenwood is big enough to have their own manufacturing facility in China? You're right that the performance of the 5900M is outstanding, and that's the bottom line. I was merely stating that I'll miss the jewel-like build quality of the 9000ES compared to the 5900M. Othrwise, I'm very happy with the changer. This is my first mega changer and I look forward to having my entire DVD collection (currently about 300 discs) on line at the touch of a button. I may get a 5050M to daisy chain which would allow me to have 400 CDs on-line too. I'll probably get the Entre hub also. Thanks for your input!

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I am willing to shell out $1500 for a changer, I wouldn't mind paying somewhat more to have a better power supply, sturdier case, and overall better quality. As it is, I am somewhat concerned about long term reliability, given the problems I have encountered. I would have thought Kenwood would want their flagship to have outstanding build quality, but then again they are not a TAG/Mclaren or other high end manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by horseman
If I am willing to shell out $1500 for a changer, I wouldn't mind paying somewhat more to have a better power supply, sturdier case, and overall better quality. As it is, I am somewhat concerned about long term reliability, given the problems I have encountered. I would have thought Kenwood would want their flagship to have outstanding build quality, but then again they are not a TAG/Mclaren or other high end manufacturer.
Horseman:

What are your impressions of the video and audio quality of the Kenwood changer?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nicholas,

I thought the video quality easily beat my Sony, which was run through an ISCAN Pro. The picture seemed more film like. The audio quality seemed somewhat better, although I really needed more time with the changer to evaluate it. The Sony cost 1/3 as much as the Kenwood, but since the Kenwood holds twice as many discs, and I liked the video, I'm willing to step up to the plate, even though I am not sure whether it is really worth the money.

My dealer is receiving some more on Monday, and has promised to run one through its paces, before I pick it up. I just hope it holds together. I bought the Sony, figuring if it tanked after a year or so I could just replace it. However, when I approach this price range, I expect the unit to be reliable on a long term basis.

As I said, I didn't have much time to really evaluate the unit, as I was trying to solve problems. Can you tell me if it can sort the discs alphabetically? The few I entered into the changer were sorted by disc number.

Thanks,

Horseman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any chance that these vibrating discs have an offset label or something?

I'm on the fence about this player and am looking for sunshine b4 I spend $1000 on one.

Grape

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.