AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that a lot of people will only use the 2400's remote to "teach" commands to their hi-end universal remote, but I was really hoping to migrate my MX-500 to my new bedroom system (using the Onkyo 828 receiver the Yammy is replacing in the HT).

Everything I read about the 2400's remote in the manual seemed to indicate that it would be able to work with all of the other devices in my system, and it's layout and functionality seemed like it would work well enough for me not to miss my MX-500 in the HT. Too bad it didn't work out that way.

My system includes the following components:
  • Motorolla digital cable box
  • Proscan VHS VCR
  • Phillips SVHS VCR
  • JVC DVD player
  • Sony CD player
  • RCA TV

I didn't think that any of these were particularly rare devices, so imagine my suprise when I couldn't find working setups for half of them in the remote's library of devices (I never got around to looking for the CD player or TV, but at least the DVD player was there)! I did find a partial match for the Phillips VCR, but it was missing a large number of key functions.

Not really a problem right? After all, this is a "learning" remote after all... I just have to program it with the functions for the missing components. Except that I only managed to get one and half missing components learned before I got the "FULL" message indicating that the memory was full, and the remote couldn't learn any new functions!!!

It seems that if Yamaha was going to ship this remote with such a skimpy amount of memory, they really should have made more of an effort to ensure that the built-in device libraries were more complete!

So now I'm working on programming my MX-500 to take the place of the Yamaha remote, although I've been putting off labeling and learning all of those DSP functions. BTW, I've also run into a problem getting the MX-500 to learn the Yammy's "Off/Standby" function. For some reason, the learned function will turn the receiver ON, not OFF!?!?

At least I can probably figure out that issue with the help out at "remotecentral". I'm just bugged by having to abandon a remote that almost works right!

Sorry, just needed to vent... I've been loving everything else about my 2400, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at finding at least one problem... but it was soooo close to being perfect! grrrrrr!!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My Pronto was able to learn the discreet on and off codes. I'd try sending them to the MX500 again. If that dosen't work, does the MX500 have software that allows you to enter in the hex value for signals? If so, I can post the hex codes for the discreet codes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried learning the "System Standby" signal several times... it took me awhile to realize that the MX-500 was sending the discrete ON instead of OFF.

I don't have the MX-500 programmer (I think it's called IR-Clone... maybe?), but I do have an All-In-One remote that I can use for learning discretes (based on programmed numeric codes).

If all else fails, I can always break down and finally figure out how to use the JP1 cable that came in the package with the MX-500 & All-In-One.

I was just really suprised at my "System Off" macro turning off everything else, but turning the receiver on! :rolleyes: Of course, this was at the end of a very long day spent installing the new receiver and completely re-wiring my HT components and speakers. It was just one of those moments; when I realized what was going on, that I just had to say: "enough of working on the new system, it's time to start enjoying the new system" :D

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Pardon me while I hijack your thread.

Is it possible to change the Zone 2 source from the remote? I noticed that the selector on the receiver is a mechanical dial.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You can change zone 2 sources from the remote.

The idiotic thing is that the remote does not come with Zone 2 setup. You have to follow a procedure in the manual to get the zones to show up on the remote (you have to scroll through the devices - there is no hardbutton for Zone 2).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.