AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for all the informative comments on the Sony/Costco DVD discs. I have a question on the Verbatim DVD discs.

I recently purchased a spindle of DVD +R discs from Sam's Club to use in my newly purchased Phillips 3576. I recall reading a few days ago, someone had said to stay away from the purple label discs and look for the blue. I just checked my discs and they are in a purple-label package. I haven't opened the package yet. How bad are the purple-label discs? (Before reading that comment, I thought I was safe purchasing Verbatim). Should I return them? Should I consider purchasing the Sony DVD +R at Costco instead?

I'm looking to archive my old Hi-8 family tapes for my library and looking for the best quality (within reason, price-wise) for permanent (as can be achieved on DVD) storage. I'm not planning to use the Phillips for recording and viewing/storing current over-the-air programming.

What specifically are the best discs to use with the Phillips 3576?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
spyder696969 said beware the purple Verbatims but jmscott42 here noted he has good luck with them and tells how to make sure they're the good "PAPA" discs.

If you do open a pkg you can check their Media ID (MID) with the 3576's unique disc utility, as described at the bottom of this post.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had very bad burns from my last batch of Verbatim +R's, so bad I returned them. They were in the Blue and Orange Wrapper. The -R's I bought at the same time have given me some of my best Burns/Scans ever. Same Blue and Orange packaging.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I've used Verbatim DVD-R discs on and off (as they may be purchased at good prices from time to time). These have given good service in the past. The Verbatim spindle I'm working through was originally purchased around six months ago at an Office Max. I usually keep a supply of three to four hundred blank discs on hand at any given moment.

I had some trouble yesterday with a Verbatim disc burned in a Panasonic DMR-EZ17. On Sunday afternoon a black and white movie was recorded at EP in a two hour time slot from TCM. Two other black and white movies were scheduled to record in the early hours of Monday morning. They did not record as scheduled. The schedule menu had them greyed out. The Verbatim disc showed no recordable time remaining in the schedule menu and an information box. I ejected the disc and physically examined it. It appeared to have the original two hour duration EP burn with around four hours of unburned space at EP. There were no obvious defects. This Verbatim is what I would say is dark pink or light purple. I placed the disc back in the EZ17. After attempting to read the disc the EZ17 locked up. I attempted the usual Panasonic methods to regain control (press tray open, hold down power) with no effect. I pressed the reset button that did cycle through the test with the result that the EZ17 reset back to the locked up condition. Next I did the CH up/down reset that required a channel rescan and clock reset. Control was restored and the disc was ejected. A very forgiving DMR-ES35V could read but not finalize the disc.

On 7/15 I just happened to look at a partially recorded Verbatim disc from the same spindle. This disc had perhaps 4:30 recorded at EP, again black and white material from TCM. There was a bright silver wedge area showing on the surface extending about 1/4 inch from the outer edge. The bright silver area did not extend into the recorded area of the disc. I finalized the disc without problem on the original recording Panasonic, a DMR-ES15.

Some months back I completed burning all the TDK DVD-R discs on hand. I have an unused spindle of Maxell DVD-R discs and perhaps thirty Verbatim DVD-R discs to go from the current spindle.

I expect that my next disc purchase will be TYs.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I am just finishing getting through a 100 pk spindle of +R Verbs in the orange and blue-ish/purple label I bought in March. I'd estimate that about 25-30% of these turned out duds. This was after exchanging a 100pk spindle of -Rs that had me worrying that my pc burner was going bad. Disc after disc had failed. This despite the ID code MCC03rg20 that placed them in 1st class category at digitalFAQ. I bought some Sony +Rs made in Taiwan-a 25 pk spindle, and only 3 of those were bad. I was relieved to know that it wasn't the burner's fault.

Check the side of the label, and see where they were made. My advice is keep the receipt handy in case you experience problems. You can take them back if you lose confidence.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Once upon a time, Verbatim was top of the heap, best you could buy, guaranteed always to work and consistently high quality. Now, in essence, they suck a tailpipe like every other brand sold in stores. The name means nothing because they've pimped themselves out and can no longer maintain consistent production. I have played the white wrapper, blue wrapper, yellow wrapper, purple wrapper game at OfficeMax more times than I can count, with no predictable result: you might as well buy a lottery ticket. It doesn't matter what wrapper, what country or what batch anymore: Verbatim is all over the map qualitywise. If by some remote miracle you actually snag the MAPA or PAPA discs, this is the closest you will get to the original Verbatim standards of two years ago. But even those turn up in bad lots.

Like every other store-sold brand since early 2007, Verbatim is now strictly for PC use: forget using it in a standalone recorder, the burns will fail or screw up because the recorder can't figure out "the dye formula of the day" Verbatim is using. Sadly, the only surefire never-lose discs left on the market are the TY 8x Silver Premium DVD-R. It stinks not to have any other alternative for archival use with standalone recorders, but that's where we're at now: TY or don't bother. Its just too bad TY is available only from online dealers and costs more, but I'd rather plan ahead and pay a slight premium for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the TY 8x Silver Premium available in DVD+R? Doing a Google search, I've only found DVD-R.

If they are only available in DVD-R, how would these work in the Phillips 3576? I saw a mention on the boards here recently that the Phillips machine prefers +R to -R.

CitiBear, your feeling to forget Verbatim in a standalone recorder is quite disheartening. Now, I don't know what media to be using in the Phillips.

Wajo, what media do you use in the Phillips for long-term archiving?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockhead /forum/post/14348402

Wajo, what media do you use in the Phillips for long-term archiving?

I use some TDK -Rs I bought long enough ago when TDK was still making their own discs, with their good media ID (MID), and lately some Sony +R from Wal-Mart that also have a good MID (altho the 3576 can't read this particular MID, as noted at the bottom of that link I gave in Post #2).

Here are the Taiyo Yuden Silver Lacquer 8X +Rs most people use and recommend.

Here are the same TY +R 8X with white hub-printable top surface that cost a little more and not necessary unless you plan to inkjet-print on them or use a Sharpie or other marker... my TDKs are white printable, nice for hand writing or printing.

I think these would be the very best for the 3576 cuz it likes slower-speed discs, and the +R is better for burning cuz of its better tracking and error-correction design. One lifelong -R user here reported his burns with -R would give a post-burn test score of 95-96, but when he shifted to +R he got 99 consistently. Only drawback to +R is some players might not have all FF/REW speeds available, but the better burns should trump that. That link above also describes the +R design.

If you prefer, -R would also be perfectly OK to use.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Verbatim MIT (Made In Taiwan) 16X +Rs working just fine in the 2 Daytek 950-S and 2 Liteon 5001s I own. These were bought not more than 3 days ago and are the ones in the new purple package. Be aware that some folks are noting problems with the MII (Made In India) discs, especially with Double/Dual Layer ones. I avoided those when I bought my DLs a week ago and found some more MIS (Made In Singapore) ones. I need to use a magnifying glass to read the lettering on the package though. It's so small....

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Today I had another Verbatim problem disc similar to that reported on 7/22. Today's incident occured on a different Panasonic, a DMR-ES15 designated as my "S" machine ("slave" to Comcast cable box through composite connection). A movie was recorded in the early a.m. hours but later scheduled recordings this a.m. failed to record. There was a disk failure notice upon power up. Today's disc can not be finalized.

Today's Verbatim problem disc bears these numbers, MAP628LK03152929 5 and Z09912-DVR-J47F4.

In my 7/22 post the Verbatim disk with the visible defect bears these numbers, MAP631LK03121765 3 and Z09912-DVR-J47F4; and the problem disc with the recording failure bears these numbers, MAP628LK0320558 2 and Z09912-DVR-J47F4.

All these are Verbatim DVD-R discs from a spindle of 100 that had the orange and blue outer label.

In the two weeks since the "visible defect" Verbatim was discovered 32 Verbatim discs have been recorded with 30 (including the "visible defect" Verbatim) successfully finalized, and two partially recorded discs failed to initiate scheduled recordings on two different Panasonics, both reporting disc errors, and neither disc could be finalized. There are five partially recorded or blank Verbatim discs, two recording as this is written and three awaiting scheduled recording in one Philips and four Panasonic DVD recorders. Forty five blank Verbatim discs remain on the current spindle.

I am pulling the Verbatims from service, have opened a new spindle of Maxell discs, and expect to place an order for TY discs.

·
Registered
977 Posts
MIT Verbatim Plus Rs were garbage last time I bought. The MIT Verbatim Minus Rs were excellent. Same store, same day purchase, both types MIT in Orange and Blue Packaging.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here is a KProbe scan of one the MIT Verb-Rs I am speaking of. It doesn't get much better than this. Not with my setup at least. Overall this is an excellent quality scan.

Date : 7/27/2008 4:11:35 AM

Model : 2-0-0-0 L:LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R

Disc : DVD-R , MCC03RG20 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]

Speed : 4x

ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1

Scanned range : 0 - 1906595

Sampling count : 99787

Errors : 0

PI Max : 8

PI Average : 0.89

PI Total : 12628

PIF Max : 2

PIF Average : 0.02

PIF Total : 305

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred /forum/post/14401038

MIT Verbatim Plus Rs were garbage last time I bought. The MIT Verbatim Minus Rs were excellent. Same store, same day purchase, both types MIT in Orange and Blue Packaging.

Sigh, it really is like Russian roulette, isn't it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts