AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 3803 receiver and noticed a problem with the video circuitry. I exchanged it for a new 3803, and the second unit had the same problem. This is what happens:

When the 3803 is outputting s-video on the component outputs using the upconversion circuitry, I notice faint magenta and green bands, about 1/20 of the height of the screen, that slowly scroll up the screen. The bands are faint and only visible when the screen is dark or black. However, when a DVD with component video is played through the 3803, the bands are not visible. The bands are visible even without any source whatever. I connected the 3803 to my TV with only the component cable--nothing else was plugged into either the 3803 or the TV. When the 3803 was outputting on-screen display information, the bands were visible. However, after several seconds the screen went black and the bands disappeared, apparently when the on-screen display or video upconversion turned off and the unit was outputting regular component video without any conversion or OSD info.

I thought that this might be a ground loop issue, so I disconnected everything except the component cable. I swapped out the component cable, and I tried plugging the 3803 and the TV into the same electrical outlet as well as into different outlets. I made sure the component cable was separated from the power cables. But the bands were still there. I know that it is not the component inputs on the TV or the cable because the bands disappear when the 3803 is outputting only component video without any conversion or OSD. When I switch my TV into video input rather than component input, the picture is fine.

Have others reported this problem. One of my primary reasons for purchasing the 3803 was its upconversion feature as I am installing a projector and do not want to run both s-video and component cables to the rear ceiling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting problem. I have an AVR5803, which is in for service right now for a problem with the DD decoder. However, I too purchased it over the upgrade for the 5800 because of the upconversion feature. I can't say I noticed your problem though and I spent some time comparing the S-video feed to the upconversion feed. Denon has a excellent customer service staff and I would suggest giving Denon a call if the dealer you purchased the Denon at is confused. Lastly, you said that it stopped when the OSD went off which leads me to think that this problem is something the Denon is introducing through the osd. Does this problem occur while just upconverting an s-video source and not displaying any onscreen display information?

Kenshin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem occurs in both situations--when converting s-video to component as well as when displaying OSD info. What I didn't clarify is that the video input was set to auto, so that as soon as the OSD went off, the 3803 automatically switched to component because there was no source. But even when there is a source, and when the video input is set directly to s-video rather than auto, the problem remains...

I e-mailed Denon last week and never heard back. I sent another tonight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.