AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Sanyo XP21N and I am finding the color adjustment options to be fairly limited. I know there has been some discussion of using the Service Menu but I was hoping to get some help as to what i would adjust if I went in there.

My problems are:

1) Skin is red, not brown, and reducing the reds makes it green. No combination turns skin from red to peach/brown.

2) Around peoples red faces (like their scalp lines) there is a green fringe if you look very closely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
842 Posts
I dont know how old you projector lamp is, but it could be part of the problem. The color temperature changes with lamp usage. But I have to tell you my experience compering projector side by side and so it goes; I compered the Xp21 to a mitsubishi x400 and found the human skin to be a bit to red, in contrast with the X400 a found not only skin like color but you have so much option in calibrate couler temp. . And I bebleave if you use a high contrat screen with your X21 it might help.

[This message has been edited by Angeli662 (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jaron,

Rather than eyeing it, try Avia or Video Essentials. They will assist you zone in on your color.

--Les

·
Registered
159 Posts
I too have a 21n and am frustrated with the same problem. I have used both Avia and VE but those settings result in the "green shadows". The lamp issue at least for me is unlikely due to the fact that I have about 50 hours on my bulb. My 21n is being driven by a Qscan through the VGA input. My best success has been to use the default RGB settings on the Sanyo and then lower stauration on the Qscan and then tweak the hue on Qscan. This results in a redder picture but you get rid of the green for the most part. I do not think this is the ultimate solution (The ocean is actually the ultimate solution, think about it.) Any help on this issue from a pro would be helpful. Are we talking Gamma?

------------------

Through man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world...

- Saint Arnoldus

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Man, I just can't relate. My skin tones are perfect on the defaults. I suggest going to the reset and tweak less.

------------------

Joe

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jaron, have you tried to run the signal directly to the 21N, bypassing the qscan. I am going to try that myself to see if its the qscan or possibly the RGB input. It will be hard to tell which device is causing the green. I am thinking it may be gamma related. I am not an expert on this issue. I agree that this frustrating...

------------------

- Saint Arnoldus

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am actually not using the quadscan yet. It is a direct connection. I unfortunately don't even know what Gamma is or certainly how to adjust it but I'd love to learn.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am getting great results with a Progressive Scan Panasonic and my XP21N.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have connected a signal directly into the 21n. I used the normal mode for the video input. The green is not a problem there. (I had to use s-vid input). When I switch to the qscan input which is fed via dvd component out, I have a hard time balancing out the green. It seems that when I set the qscan's brightness to around 30 the green goes away. I prefer the clarity and stability of the qscan picture but I like the color from the direct conn better.

------------------

- Saint Arnoldus

·
Premium Member
24,651 Posts
I used the iScan Pro for a week or so with my RPTV and found that it caused color variation, especially a green tint, on some Dish channels. The tint control was nearly useless because it has too much adj range and it was hard to keep the center detent from popping it back to neutral position.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
484 Posts
With a Radeon AIW connected via VGA to my 21N I get near perfect color as shown by Avia and by Video Essentials. Your source may be the problem.

------------------

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with a Mitsubishi LVP390U and I found that the only way to get rid of the green is by using an HTPC (you can set the gamma for each RGB color indipendently).

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I was watching Jurassic Park tonight and noticed in an outdoor scene (about the computer with the cardboard hood) with four large faces that the color on each face looked quite a bit different. One more green, one more pink, one more orange and one in between. I'm used to a projector or TV homogenizing all the flesh tones, but the 21N really brings out the differences (as it seems to in everything).

------------------

Joe (Boy am I sick of reregistering!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have been working to find a way to minimize the "green" shadows. I think I may have stumbled on to something. I have a Toshiba DVD player with "Enhanced Black" level as a selectable feature. Supposedly my Qscan is capable of dealing with this Blacker than Black signal. I selected "Normal" black level on the DVD player and the hue problem seems to be gone. I am running both the Sanyo and Qscan at the default level. (Which is dead on with avai's calibration).

Play around with that setting if you have enhanced black capability.

------------------

- Saint Arnoldus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.