AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long time of lurking on this forum I took the plunge and upgrader one of my UTV using the Western Digital 120gb drive. The upgrade was done on Monday and everthing went fine. Each of the past two mornings when I turned the unit on it has tried to dial MSN and then indicated that I had a unit failure and to call Thompson support. On both occasions I have unplugged the unit and left it for a while. When I plug it back in it comes up fine. I am asking whether others have foud this type of problem and what was done to solve it.

My first inclination is that the problem is increased heat from the new drive and I have read the posts on cooling but it will be a few days before I will be able get the parts for this.

Since I live on the East coast I am expecting the 3.7 update tonight of tomorrow so I reallly want it to live through the night.

any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same problem about 5 minutes ago. The problem was that I set the jumpers on my new WD drive for Master, but for a dual drive configuration.

Set the jumpers for single drive. My update is downloading as I type this.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
You gotta watch out for the jumpers - they'll get you every time. The UTV wants a Master/Single drive so for some drives that involves setting the jumper to that position, while many WD drives require the jumpers to be removed. That almost always causes the "Your Internet Terminal needs to be repaired - contact Thompson" messages.

The "stuck on connecting" thing is another issue some people run into and it usually boils down to patience (wait until it connects), a quick disconnect and reconnect of the phone line to jump start the process, forcing a different number, or a different jack/line/location.

Just remember to remove your access card whenever you open the case and to put it back in when you are finished working inside. Also, don't forget to reconnect all your cables an wires inside (especially that hard drive fan!) before you close the box.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did remove the jumper. I notice that the instruction sheet shows connecting them it to two jumpers on the same side. In most hard drives I have worked with in PC's this is equivalent to removing the jumper. I will try setting it exactly as it shows on the documentation. I hope the answer is that simple

The strange thing is that it will work all day but each morning it is back to the call in to MSN screen. So far removing the power card for a while and then reinserting it after about 30 minutes fixes the problem. The drive I received was a WD1200JBRTL with an 8 mb buffer even though the box said it was a WD1200BBRTL W/ 2mg buffer. As others have found with the retail version the software download from MSN went fine.

Since my system died again during the night I did not receive the 3.7 upgrade on this unit. My other non-modified system did receive the upgrade at 3:29 am.

Gene

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.