AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, Showtime had been one of the few pay channels to consistently telecast HD movies in their original aspect ratios. Furthermore their schedule clearly labels such movies as "WIDESCREEN HDTV OAR."

But since before Christmas, Showtime has telecast at least five different movies with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio in a non-OAR format. Because Showtime falsely labeled these movies as "OAR", several AVS members wrote e-mails to Showtime to ask that this situation be corrected.

This morning, Showtime again telecast a 2.35:1 movie in cropped, 16:9 (1.78:1) format: The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain

Has anyone heard from Paul Seblano from Showtime recently?

I wrote him e-mails twice in the last two weeks, without a reply.

I sure hope Showtime hasn't changed its policy. I've seen a couple of movies recently (Perfect World and, last night, Dolores Claiborne ) that remained 2.35:1 on Showtime, but these have been on before, so Showtime would need to spend resources to crop them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am sure there are more people complaining about movies with black bars than people complaining about OAR broadcasts.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I too have written Paul and not received a response. This was over a month ago about some similar things but at this point, Showtime has REALLY gone down hill. Glad I have my Ghostbuster OAR, 5.1 tape and wasn't depending on the Sho airing. Pretty sad.

They already have a pretty crappy selection of films so they might as well go all the way and start cropping stuff now.

·
Registered
27,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye7
I am sure there are more people complaining about movies with black bars than people complaining about OAR broadcasts.
That may be true but it's no reason to give in to the least common denominator. Showtime has stood tall among the premium movie channels by refusing to compromise their principals; they appear to have real movie lovers making the decisions. Let's hope they stand fast and don't get all wobbly now.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I woke up early this morning just to record The Englishman Who..... and was ticked off that it wasn't OAR as stated on their website. That is at least three movies this month that are not OAR despite their website stating they are. Don't they check the freaking prints before advertising them as OAR. It's not that hard to find out what the OAR for a film is. Between this, HBO's cropping and HDNet Movies soft crappy picture quality lately it doesn't leave many HD movies to record. :mad: Time to fire off another email!

Tom

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan
Time to fire off another email!

Tom

Yeah, good luck with that. I doubt you will hear anything back though.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye7
That's not the point. Showtime is clearly advertising these movies on their online guide as "OAR." That's false advertising...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeah. Incorrect listings can be very annoying. There is another issue that bothers me more though.... Movies in SD. In the past year (including 2005) there have been at least 25+ movies I have had interest in but unfortunately ended up being offered in SD. Not all of these are old movies. Several have been new releases within the last couple years. It is true that most of these movies are shown after 11pm but they are not skinamax movies that I am talking about. I like OAR but having them offered in any form of HD is good enough for me right now.

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
Yes, probably mistakes, but it has been happening more and more frequently which is a bad sign. As others have stated they need to check the transfers before they run them.

I am sure the studios just send out cropped or open matte versions automatically if they can get away with it.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Mistakes????

Showtime moved from under the Cable/MTV side under Tom Freston to under CBS and Les Moonves when Viacom was split up after Christmas.

The timing is more than interesting, considering Les' attitude about filling the screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.