AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on upgrading my outdoor theater sound system from a 2.0 system to a 5.0 system.

Last year I was using a small mixer and 2 powered JBL EON 515 pa speakers in stereo. I have since added another powered JBL for a a center channel and 2 non powered all weather speakers for rears.

I assumed being my Yamaha rx-v765 has preamp outputs I could use them to feed my powered PA speakers. Last night after I got everything hooked up I quickly found out that this might not work as planned.

I had to literally turn the speakers and receiver up a lot louder than I felt comfortable doing to get any decent volume out of them.

Is it possible the preamp signal coming from the yamaha rx-v765 isn't strong enough?

I am using a 30 foot cable that has male RCA on one end and male XLR on the other end going into the speaker. Is it possible I am experiencing a voltage drop across the cable?

I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Since the signal is low-level, the cable length should make no difference.

Don't concern yourself with the settings required, as long as you CAN get it up to the desired volume.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out I'm just an idiot. I just now noticed the speakers have a -10db/+4db switch.

That fixed the problem immediately

Now I have another problem. After running YPAO I got 2 "warnings".

It appears that my FL, Center, and RF are out of phase. The only way to fix that is to take apart the XLR cable, unsolder the pins, and switch them around.

Could I just run the the rear speakers in reverse polarity? They are on banana plugs which would make it a lot easier to change the polarity.

I guess it's worth trying before I start hacking into the wires for the mains and center.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a little more reading about YPAO I've decided to just leave everything the way it is. More than likely its just a YPAO issue and not my wiring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts