AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JVC 56FN97 tv and am running an nVidia video card (I've tried both a GeForce 4 Ti4800 and a 7800GS) with the latest drivers. I am connected to the tv via DVI -> HDMI.

The problem I have is if I set the resolution to 1920x1080, the display is messed up (horizontal scan lines every 1/2", etc). I tried both progressive and interlaced modes via the nVidia control panel but neither made any difference. However, I can set MyHD at 1080i and it displays without problem.

Anyone know what settings I need to change to get the desktop to display correctly at 1920x1080? How do set the video card to output true 1080(i/p) like MyHD?

Mez

PS- the only default resolutions which display correctly are 1024x768 and 1280x720. I also have a custom resolution of 1824x1004 which displays fine as well.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
TV's are ages behind computer monitors in resolution recognition/support.

If you haven't already, check the output freq of your signal- IIRC, many TV's will only support 60Hz refresh... and most video cards try to put out 70Hz/75Hz once over 800X600 res.

If I set my 42" Phillips plasma to 1920x1080 the Windows desktop is almost unreadable... so I've settled on a lower "custom" res setting too. Even though it's not true 1080 at that point, I can't see any difference between the output from my HTPC compared to my cable co STB at true 1080 res.

If you're getting a good picture at 1824x1004, that's very close to 1080 and may be the best you're going to get.

·
Registered
68 Posts
According to the JVC website the 2 HDMI ports will accept 1080p. Does your manual say anything about supported PC resolutions and refresh rates?

Just read this from page 21 of the PDF manual....

The digital-in terminal is not compatible with the picture signal of a personal computer.

·
Registered
847 Posts
the card being HDCP or not has nothing to do with displaying the desktop on the tv...

try different inputs or actually a different cable. I had a similar problem to yours and trying a different dvi->hdmi cables did the trick for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess what I was trying to ask how the TV can differentiate between a peripheral outputting 1080p and a PC outputting 1920x1080x60hz. Shouldn't the signal from the PC look the same as from a peripheral? What other factors are involved in the signal?

Using nVidia's software, how do I configure the PC so that it's signal appears to be a true HDTV signal (720p/1080p/etc) to the TV? If I can figure that out, then the "The digital-in terminal is not compatible with the picture signal of a personal computer." shouldn't apply. Is this simple or is this a million dollar question everyone is trying to answer?

Mez

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldritch /forum/post/0

I guess what I was trying to ask how the TV can differentiate between a peripheral outputting 1080p and a PC outputting 1920x1080x60hz. Shouldn't the signal from the PC look the same as from a peripheral? What other factors are involved in the signal?

Using nVidia's software, how do I configure the PC so that it's signal appears to be a true HDTV signal (720p/1080p/etc) to the TV? If I can figure that out, then the "The digital-in terminal is not compatible with the picture signal of a personal computer." shouldn't apply. Is this simple or is this a million dollar question everyone is trying to answer?

Mez

Depending on the drivers you should have a setting in the controlpanel for Forceware where you can set the driver to "Treat digital display as HDTV".

Old cp: "nView display settings", click ""Device settings"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross /forum/post/0

Depending on the drivers you should have a setting in the controlpanel for Forceware where you can set the driver to "Treat digital display as HDTV".

Old cp: "nView display settings", click ""Device settings"

Thanks a million. I'd tried all kinds of options in the new CP, but none worked as simply or as well as this did.

Mez

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.