AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get BH200 to recognize the PAL format.

Following the instructions below, I got to the EEPROM and reset the 4th hex value to 80. Hit pause to save, turned it off, etc.

Turn it back on, still doesn't recognize any PAL format disks. Still plays "normal" NTSC disks without issues.

Now I am unable to get back into the EEPROM menu no matter how many times I hit Pause, 1, 4, 7, 2 with the disk drive open. It just displays AT 00 on the unit and does nothing.

Worse, the "Home" menu doesn't work when I hit the Home button... I never got to it before so I am not sure if this is a new problem introduced.

I escalated this to LG. They said it's a firmware issue and they are sending me a disk with new firmware.

Once again, normal off-the-shelf DVDs play just fine, apparently at 480p. None of the PAL disks play at all.

Quote:
1. Open the tray, with no disc in the tray

2. Press PAUSE, 1, 4, 7, 2

3. Change the fourth HEX value (the bold value in the defaults above) to: Region A - 80, Region B - 92, Region C - A6 - Does your TV support PAL? See Below!

4. Press PAUSE to save & close the EEPROM Menu

5. Turn the BH200 Off - Normal power button

If your TV doesn't support PAL, use these alternate codes (if you're unsure, use these codes!): Region A - 00, Region B - 20, Region C - 26

NOTE: The Region B and Region C codes will also disable/hide the "Network Update" option, switching to Region A will enable/show it again.

You will notice the code to switch the BH200 to Region A is the same code that enables PAL below.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It sounds like your TV doesn't accept a 50hz signal. Because you've set the PAL bit the BH200 will try to output a 50hz signal on startup, so you won't get the home menu etc.

You'll have to reset Byte 4 to 00.

The fact that the front display is showing AT 00 means that the EEPROM menu is working, it's just not showing up on the screen. You should still be able to use the RIGHT button to advance the front display to AT 06, and then UP or DOWN to return that value to 0 (the digit to the left of AT 06 will show the current value). Then press pause, restart the unit and you should be fine.

Make sure it's AT 06 you're changing or there could be unexpected consequences.

Then you can figure out whether your screen can take a 50hz signal. Do you get the startup "LG" screen? If so, your screen can do 576p/50hz but maybe not 1080p/50hz so you could try setting the maximum resolution to 720p and see if that works. If not, you may be out of luck playing PAL DVDs on your BH200.

Edit: You might also want to try pressing the "Resolution" button a few times and see if that brings back the setup menu etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just ordered a new US BH200 from the US via Ebay but now I'm panicking I won't be able to watch R2 PAL DVDs on it on my UK TV (Panasonic TH37PE50B via component).

Will it work for me? Do I just run the m/r firmware CD to set to m/r and then change the 4th bit of the EPROM data to 92? I don't intend to buy many Region A Blu-Rays, what will I need to change it to for those ?

Sorry for being stoopid

John

·
Registered
328 Posts
If it's a UK TV then it should display PAL fine, I don't know much about your panel but it looks like it's an 852x480 SD model? And I dunno what input formats it would accept but I'm sure you could set the BH200 to output 576p and you'd be away.

To play Region-A-only Blu-Rays, change Byte 4 to 80.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/14155496

If it's a UK TV then it should display PAL fine, I don't know much about your panel but it looks like it's an 852x480 SD model? And I dunno what input formats it would accept but I'm sure you could set the BH200 to output 576p and you'd be away.

To play Region-A-only Blu-Rays, change Byte 4 to 80.

Thanks peterjcat, I am calmer now
The 852x480 panel seems to take all signals up to 1080p and downscale them, although the EP30 I currently have will only output up to 1080i for HD-DVD and 576p for DVD via component. Panel has no digital inputs.

However, I can't see how the PQ could be much better personally. Maybe I will splash out on a larger 1080p plasma soon and go all digital!

Sooooo - If I want to watch Region B BD and m/r SD I need to run the m/r disk and change byte 4 to '92', yes? If so, is the order I do it in important?

John?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHARP AQUOS 37" LCD FLAT-PANEL 1080P HDTV LC-37D62U

It sounds like your TV doesn't accept a 50hz signal. Because you've set the PAL bit the BH200 will try to output a 50hz signal on startup, so you won't get the home menu etc.

You'll have to reset Byte 4 to 00.

The fact that the front display is showing AT 00 means that the EEPROM menu is working, it's just not showing up on the screen. You should still be able to use the RIGHT button to advance the front display to AT 06, and then UP or DOWN to return that value to 0 (the digit to the left of AT 06 will show the current value). Then press pause, restart the unit and you should be fine.

I will try it.

Make sure it's AT 06 you're changing or there could be unexpected consequences.

Then you can figure out whether your screen can take a 50hz signal. Do you get the startup "LG" screen? If so, your screen can do 576p/50hz but maybe not 1080p/50hz so you could try setting the maximum resolution to 720p and see if that works. If not, you may be out of luck playing PAL DVDs on your BH200.

Yes, I get the "LG" startup screen. This TV is Sharp 1080p LC-37D62U so yes it can do the 1080p resolution. How do set the max resolution to 720p?

Edit: You might also want to try pressing the "Resolution" button a few times and see if that brings back the setup menu etc.

Hm, I specifically got the BH200 as having the ability to play PAL, even LG said so, I called them to inquire.

I am having 2 different issues, one is it's unable to play PAL, the second is, I cannot access the EEPROM.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhazeldene /forum/post/14155532

Thanks peterjcat, I am calmer now
The 852x480 panel seems to take all signals up to 1080p and downscale them, although the EP30 I currently have will only output up to 1080i for HD-DVD and 576p for DVD via component. Panel has no digital inputs.

However, I can't see how the PQ could be much better personally. Maybe I will splash out on a larger 1080p plasma soon and go all digital!

Sooooo - If I want to watch Region B BD and m/r SD I need to run the m/r disk and change byte 4 to '92', yes? If so, is the order I do it in important?

John?

I don't think HDMI vs component would make much difference at all on an 852x480 panel, but you'll definitely see some improvement if/when you go for a higher-resolution panel. Most of the difference will be in the jump from 852x480 to something like 1366x768, after that it's diminishing returns up to 1920x1080 but depends on viewing distance etc.

It doesn't matter what order you do the MR disc and change Byte 4. Also Byte 4 doesn't have to be 92 but can be any of the codes for the Region B countries. I use A0 for Region B and 90 for Region A so I only have to change one digit to switch between em.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc50 /forum/post/14159749

Then you can figure out whether your screen can take a 50hz signal. Do you get the startup "LG" screen? If so, your screen can do 576p/50hz but maybe not 1080p/50hz so you could try setting the maximum resolution to 720p and see if that works. If not, you may be out of luck playing PAL DVDs on your BH200. [/b]

Yes, I get the "LG" startup screen. This TV is Sharp 1080p LC-37D62U so yes it can do the 1080p resolution. How do set the max resolution to 720p?

I am having 2 different issues, one is it's unable to play PAL, the second is, I cannot access the EEPROM.

Actually it sounds to me like the one problem -- you are in fact accessing the EEPROM (as shown on the front panel), but your TV can't display the "Accessing the EEPROM" screen, or the "Menu" screen. This is because the BH200 displays these screens at 50hz (the PAL standard) in the maximum resolution it thinks you can handle, probably either 1080i or 1080p at 50hz. It sounds like your screen can't display that combination of resolution and refresh rate, although it can do 576p at 50hz (which is what the "LG" startup screen uses).

Many US TVs can't display 50hz at all, and even more can't display 1080i or 1080p at 50hz. Even though your panel does 1080p, it may only display 1080p at 60hz. Or maybe it displays 1080p/50hz but only through a particular input.

I think that if you keep pressing the "Resolution" button it'll eventually go around to 576p/50hz which it sounds like your display can handle. Then you'll get the Home menu (and the EEPROM menu) back. Go to Display -> Resolution and it should be on 576p. You could try setting it to "Auto" and see if that displays at 576p for the Home menu and 1080p for Blu-Ray/HD DVD. If not, you might have to manually change it to 576p (using the menu or the Resolution button) to watch PAL DVDs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/14160581

I don't think HDMI vs component would make much difference at all on an 852x480 panel, but you'll definitely see some improvement if/when you go for a higher-resolution panel. Most of the difference will be in the jump from 852x480 to something like 1366x768, after that it's diminishing returns up to 1920x1080 but depends on viewing distance etc.

It doesn't matter what order you do the MR disc and change Byte 4. Also Byte 4 doesn't have to be 92 but can be any of the codes for the Region B countries. I use A0 for Region B and 90 for Region A so I only have to change one digit to switch between em.

Once again, many thanks. No sign of the player yet, have just requested a tracking number from the EBAY seller in the US (he has supplied other UK buyers in the past).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/14160670

I think that if you keep pressing the "Resolution" button it'll eventually go around to 576p/50hz which it sounds like your display can handle. Then you'll get the Home menu (and the EEPROM menu) back. Go to Display -> Resolution and it should be on 576p. You could try setting it to "Auto" and see if that displays at 576p for the Home menu and 1080p for Blu-Ray/HD DVD. If not, you might have to manually change it to 576p (using the menu or the Resolution button) to watch PAL DVDs.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it fixed that problem. I can now access the EEPROM just fine and also go into "Settings".

However, the key problems remains - I still cannot play any PAL disks no matter what I change the 4th hex number to, 80, 92 or A6. Or keeping the original "00".

Any idea what to try next?

·
Registered
328 Posts
What happens when you try to play a PAL DVD? Does it give you an error message, or does the screen turn blank?

If the screen turns blank, keep pressing the "Resolution" button and see if it shows anything up.

If you get an error message -- have you run the Multi-Region SD DVD hack described here? Because (almost?) all PAL DVDs will also be regions other than 1, you need to enable multi-region to play them. You can get a similar result by changing the EEPROM to various values but it's best to apply the hack.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have you run the Multi-Region SD DVD hack described here?

yeah, I just ran it - to no avail. Still get the same dreaded "Disk Error, Open" error.

Tried resetting EEPROM values, 4th value to 80, and 92 and A6 and back to 00, all without results.

Tried different resolutions also, like 480p/720p. None of the PAL disks play in it and all generate "Disk error"

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well that's very strange. Can you check out the System Information screen by going into the TV Aspect Ratio menu (Home -> Setup -> Display -> TV Aspect Ratio ->, basically three right-arrows) and then press 1,3,9,7,1,3,9,OK? That should tell you what the DVD Region is, and the EEPROM string. Check that it's properly changed to something helpful (should be DVD Region: 0, and the EEPROM Option should have one of the PAL Byte 4s).

Did the Multi-Region SD DVD hack look like it was successful, ie did it allow you to enter Region 0?

What PAL DVDs are you testing with?

It's a puzzler all right.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat /forum/post/14170552

Well that's very strange. Can you check out the System Information screen by going into the TV Aspect Ratio menu (Home -> Setup -> Display -> TV Aspect Ratio ->, basically three right-arrows) and then press 1,3,9,7,1,3,9,OK? That should tell you what the DVD Region is, and the EEPROM string. Check that it's properly changed to something helpful (should be DVD Region: 0, and the EEPROM Option should have one of the PAL Byte 4s).

Yes, DVD Region is set to 0. I tried setting the PAL byte to 80 and others to no avail. See pics.

Did the Multi-Region SD DVD hack look like it was successful, ie did it allow you to enter Region 0?

Yes, the script ran successfully. I burned a DVD, not a CD like the instruction said but it looked like everything worked.

What PAL DVDs are you testing with?

See pic

Put the PAL DVD in, and waiting...

Invariably get this:

Here are the EEPROM settings. Nothing works. Not the default of 00, not the recommended 80 not the other values like 92 or A6.

Here is what you requested (Via (Home -> Setup -> Display -> TV Aspect Ratio ->, basically three right-arrows) and then press 1,3,9,7,1,3,9, Enter). Looks good?

And here are the pics of the DVD itself:

Any idea what to do now? I even tried resetting the screen ration to 4:3 (from 16:9), to no avail. Not one PAL disk works but they all work on my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1705, for what it's worth) so I know the disks are good.

The resolution is currently 480i.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc50 /forum/post/14177318

Dear etc50

Stupid question from me: You're still running the pre-installed firmware dated november, that's right ??

I'm asking, because on the german-forum (I'm from switzerland), there is a guy with the same problem on his new bought LG (Problem is now solved).

Finally he found out, that he made the Driver update to 702, the DVD-MR-Hack and the EEPROM-settings, but not the Firmware-update to the newest version (April). When playing any PAL/Region 2 DVD he also received the "Disk Error/Check Disk" message.

After updating the FW from november to april he could play the PAL-DVD's on his US player.

Funny thing, I don't understand. Perhaps the DVD-Hack only works with newer firmware...don't know.

But I also would recommend you to update the FW to April -it could not be wrong. Give it a try and look again if updated to April you can play PAL DVD's.

I'm looking forward to hear your feedback.

Good Luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's correct, the firmware is original, whatever it is.

I talked to LG and they said they are sending out a disk with latest firmware. They said they think it's the problem.

Or if there is a way to burn a DVD with latest firmware, I am open to that idea also.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
How to upgrade to the April Firmware and 0702 Driver are detailed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

I see you've found this page, as that's the text I typed, you've copy/pasted above. It's worth reading all that post

Yes it's worth upgrading both. I can see you're still running 0701 (The Loader reference above, in your picture).

I can see above you're still running the November firmware. You definitely want to upgrade to the April firmware, there's no need to wait for a disc from LG. I'm not sure where you live, if it's Europe they may send you the January firmware (the April firmware still isn't Official in Europe, although it works fine).

I presume you've tried it with more than one PAL DVD? Do they work in any other Players you have? Code 00 will definitely disable PAL support, that's intended for TVs which don't support PAL.

Otherwise it looks like the other guys have pretty much said everything which needs saying. The PAL hack does rely on your TV also supporting PAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhazeldene /forum/post/14155532

Correct, or 20 (instead of 92) if your TV does NOT support PAL. This way you'll still be able to play Non-R1 NTSC SD DVDs. Many Region B BDs are in fact Region Free though.

No I don't believe the order is important.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGT /forum/post/14178522

Ok, it looks like it's really the older firmware.

Why make it so complicated? Just go to www.lgservice.com - there you can find the newests firmware. Make a dowload and transfer it to a USB stick... voilÃ*

But where would I stick the USB stick to? It does not appear to have a USB port on it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts