AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Encoding with WM9 has been a complete nightmare. I can never get multichannel encoding to work(5.1). I follow this guide to help in compressing my DVD's. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...g&pagenumber=1

I use the avisynth method and I use Bespliced to correct the errors in the ac3 5.1 audio stream; although I don't think I really need to. Anyway when ever I encode the audio stream with the video, there is no audio at all? WTF? When I try 2 channel audio encoding, it works although the audio is a bit out of sync, at least it works. Every time I select 5.1 audio encoding and the following setting "Quality 90, 48KHz, 5.1 Channel, 24-bit VBR" it never works! I get absolutely no audio at all. What am I doing wrong? I have WinDVD Platinum with 5.1 audio selected and I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2. However I don't have 5.1 speakers at home and I have Logitech z560. The multichannel audio should at least fold down to stereo anyway. Is there any chance that the ac3 audio isn't a 24-bit stream and it doesn't correspond with the setting from the encoder? It does mention 48KHz for the ac3 audio and so I thought I should select it. Anyway thx for your help.

· Registered
406 Posts
sgt, i can sympathize.

i have been having issues as well trying to do the same thing. a few things to check:

- make sure you have the registry entries for windvd. search for a post by me with the keys and locations.

- make sure your control panel is set to 5.1 speakers, regardless of your actualy configuration

- the windvd platinum did not work for me - i downloaded the trial version of windvd4 and that worked. also, the free ac3 filter (on doom9) seems to work as well. when untinstalling, search for and delete all the windvd .ax files as they are sometimes located in different directories based on the version of the program. i somehow had 4 versions of the same file, and i think the wrong one was being registered by zp.

- what method are you using to rip the dvds? i had some initial problems here with invalid audio streams, and settled on ripping the main movie through dvddecrypter with all audio streams, then using ifoedit 'movie only - strip streams' and select just the ac3 mix. you can find the details in the 'ripping 101' thread.

for just encoding directly in wme, i did not use the avisynth method but just loaded the vob's directly into the encoder. this worked most consistently when i selected 'both device and file' and then browsed for the same vob file for both the audio and video selections. for multiple vobs, just insert them as multipel sources and choose 'roll over to next source'.

that part worked for me, but when i tried using the new vcm that let you mix wm9 video with ac3 audio in a program like virtualdub, i got lost. this is covered towards the end of the thread you referenced. the issue with wm files is that currently the 5.1 audio will only play back in windows media player. you only get stereo through zp and others. this is annoying since wmp doesnt have nearly the functionality of zp for adjusting aspect ratios and utilizing and controlling filters. i gave up on that for the time being. hopefully, ms will fix their 5.1 audio over directshow issue and then i can just encode to both wmv and wma and play in zp.

good luck. when this all gets sorted out, it will be great, but i have neither the time nor the more time to figure it out at this point. that, and my wife keeps telling me to come to bed! give it a few weeks or months, and hopefully it will be easier. that is one good thing about this community- they are very active programmers.

good luck,

k

· Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt_Strider
Encoding with WM9 has been a complete nightmare. I can never get multichannel encoding to work(5.1). I follow this guide to help in compressing my DVD's. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...g&pagenumber=1

I use the avisynth method and I use Bespliced to correct the errors in the ac3 5.1 audio stream; although I don't think I really need to. Anyway when ever I encode the audio stream with the video, there is no audio at all? WTF? When I try 2 channel audio encoding, it works although the audio is a bit out of sync, at least it works. Every time I select 5.1 audio encoding and the following setting "Quality 90, 48KHz, 5.1 Channel, 24-bit VBR" it never works! I get absolutely no audio at all. What am I doing wrong? I have WinDVD Platinum with 5.1 audio selected and I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2. However I don't have 5.1 speakers at home and I have Logitech z560. The multichannel audio should at least fold down to stereo anyway. Is there any chance that the ac3 audio isn't a 24-bit stream and it doesn't correspond with the setting from the encoder? It does mention 48KHz for the ac3 audio and so I thought I should select it. Anyway thx for your help.
I never got straight 5.1 to work with WME9....

I just got 5.1 to work using DVD2AVI...into Virtualdubmod...ala schjmura in that encoding thread...i used a test clip from a myHD capture of an ABC movie Notting hill...now I am trying it on the entire 18 gig file

Pierre

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.