AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after trying to sort through 475 pages on the Samsung 1080p owner's thread, I am curious to know if Samsung has corrected all of the issues that are discussed in the owner's thread?

I am driving myself nuts trying to decide on a tv.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duds72 /forum/post/0

So, after trying to sort through 475 pages on the Samsung 1080p owner's thread, I am curious to know if Samsung has corrected all of the issues that are discussed in the owner's thread?

I am driving myself nuts trying to decide on a tv.

Considering the massive number of 8xW family sets out there, I wouldn't think there was necessarily an epidemic of problems. The only two real issues that crop up here every now and then are the dark bars/collapsed light tunnel issue, which probably effects a very tiny portion of owners relevant to the number of total owners, and the issue with the overscan...which isn't even a defect..it's a firmware design setting, and you can either turn it off or you can't...period. Given that those are the only two issues I've seen around here, I was not hesitant in ordering a 5687 in the slightest.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but how many owners actually visit this site and post their problems?

Do you experience any of the issues mentioned with your 5687?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trith /forum/post/0

Considering the massive number of 8xW family sets out there, I wouldn't think there was necessarily an epidemic of problems. The only two real issues that crop up here every now and then are the dark bars/collapsed light tunnel issue, which probably effects a very tiny portion of owners relevant to the number of total owners, and the issue with the overscan...which isn't even a defect..it's a firmware design setting, and you can either turn it off or you can't...period. Given that those are the only two issues I've seen around here, I was not hesitant in ordering a 5687 in the slightest.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duds72 /forum/post/0

True, but how many owners actually visit this site and post their problems?

Do you experience any of the issues mentioned with your 5687?

Well..I'm not sure if I will have any of those problems or not just yet...my TV was damaged during shipping and the replacement won't be here till early next week..but I would still order it all over again if I had to. Hopefully I will be among the majority who never really have any issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trith /forum/post/0

Well..I'm not sure if I will have any of those problems or not just yet...my TV was damaged during shipping and the replacement won't be here till early next week..but I would still order it all over again if I had to. Hopefully I will be among the majority who never really have any issues.

How do you know that the majority of Sammy HDTV owners are not having problems, especially Light Tunnel problems? Probably less than 1% of Sammy owners even know about this forum, with only 10% of the readers here ever making a single post.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satman858 /forum/post/0

How do you know that the majority of Sammy HDTV owners are not having problems, especially Light Tunnel problems? Probably less than 1% of Sammy owners even know about this forum, with only 10% of the readers here ever making a single post.

Have you seen any class action lawsuits yet? Have you seen any mass recalls from Samsung yet? Didn't think so. If you want to buy into mass problems and hysteria go plunk some money down on a panasonic....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm very close to buying the sammy also because its so damn cheap. But really worried about the quality of them. Collapsing light tunnels, smudges inside the screen and pincusion. Gerernally, all of these microdisplay tvs seem to have bad reliablity. One more then other. These are high ticket priced items and shouldn't have this much issues. If car companies had to keep on changing the engine everytime it went bad they'd never stay in business.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I stayed away from this line of DLPs specifically because of the light tunnel quality issue. The problem is with the cheap way they are assembled, so you are totally rolling the dice purchasing one. Went with a quality Sony LCD RPTV and am not looking back (though I thinkthe DLP gives a slightly better picture).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclearman /forum/post/0

I stayed away from this line of DLPs specifically because of the light tunnel quality issue. The problem is with the cheap way they are assembled, so you are totally rolling the dice purchasing one. Went with a quality Sony LCD RPTV and am not looking back (though I thinkthe DLP gives a slightly better picture).

I had a E2000, for a year and I agree they have the least amount of problems here. I had no bad pixels, and perfect geometry. Picture quality was great but black levels were subpar. I ended up giving that tv to my parents so i get get a bigger set. Now i'm thinking maybe i should just pick up the 55e2000 instead. I really want the sxrd but my wallet doesn't have that much cash.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Any CE device has issues and that is certainly true of any of the HD TVs out there. The people who frequent these forums are the pickiest of all viewers in most cases and voice displeasure over things the general public care less about. In addition like any forum those who have real problems want to share them and get advice while most satisfied users will read the posts and only occasionaly post like I have done. I bought a 43" HLN in 2003, one problem they had back then was the color wheel would fail, mine did and it was replace under warrantee no charge. Now some sets have some LE problems and it seems these are also getting replaced. None of this stopped me from buying a brand new 61" HLS this week, because looking at all of the various brands I feel I get the best picture for the $ from Samsung and I know that the majority of CE problems occur within the first year of ownership and will be handled by Samsung. If you are more worried buy an extended service contract but in the end you will not find any CE device that is 100% problem free or any mfg process that produces 0% defects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.