AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a good deal on a Denon 1802 receiver but am having a slight problem setting up my digital audio connections.

I've only got 2 sources that I'm trying to use with Optical connections -- Sony DirecTIVO and my Sony DVD player (low end model). I've connected everything and assigned the optical inputs to the appropriate device.

However, even though the DVD player is sending out the audio signal, when I play a disc that I know is DD5.1, my receiver does not show it to be getting a Dolby Digital signal.

Note: This is my first time with a surround receiver so its quite possible that I've missed something in the setup process.

Any help?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"However, even though the DVD player is sending out the audio signal, when I play a disc that I know is DD5.1, my receiver does not show it to be getting a Dolby Digital signal. "

Is the Denon playing anything? If so you probably aren't sending out a DD signal. Make sure the DVD players output is set to Bitstream or something along those lines... not PCM. Then make sure you have selected the 5.1 soundtrack in the DVD movies setup menu.

Shawn

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had this same problem too with my Denon 1802... however a good long read into the large manual helped it out.

The controls are quite confusing, but I remembered that the manual specifically dealt with myself having this kind of problem. I had a Digital Coax out from my computer to the receiver, and it wouldn't pick up the signal at all until I started playing around with some of the audio choices. If you're not hearing any sound at all then read the manual and there's a part where it tells you how to select digital outputs for certain formats. If you are hearing sound, however, then it's not the Denon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny you say that because the DirecTIVO isn't putting out any audio through the optical cable so I'll read the manual again for it.

I'll try to find the audio setting on the DVD player. Sounds like that could be the problem. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, an update... I got the DTS and DD to play from the DVD player. Just a simple change on the DVD player setup menu. Duh!

Now, I still can't get any audio out of my DirecTIVO despite having mapped the optical cable properly. So, any Denon owners out there who might have another idea?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdjncox
well, an update... I got the DTS and DD to play from the DVD player. Just a simple change on the DVD player setup menu. Duh!
LOL, had the same problem this weekend when setting up my Dad's new system (Denon 1803 with Axiom speakers).

We heard the speakers and they all sounded really muddy when watching DVDs and were pretty disappointed at first. Turns out we didn't enable DTS and DD either!

Unfortunately I don't have any advice on the DirecTivo. Sorry.

Matthew

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Now, I still can't get any audio out of my DirecTIVO despite having mapped the optical cable properly. So, any Denon owners out there who might have another idea?
Have you tried connecting the TIVO to another optical connector on your 1802? Maybe, the port is bad. Also, the cable could be causing the issue. Digital optical cables are prone to damage and can't quite take the abuse that a digital coax cable can. Also, is there is setting on your TIVO to direct the output via an optical digital connection instead of an analog connection? It seems like there would be a setting to channel the data out the correct path.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a setting to output to the optical port and i've double-checked that its set correctly. I'm thinking that the port or cable is bad as well. Fortunately, the DVD also has a digital coax and I'm not using the one on the 1802 so I'll give that a try.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.