AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mitsubishi HDTV receiver is having trouble keeping the OTA digital channels mapped with a -1. At first, especially if I exit the guide setup early, it will list all the local OTA digital channels. Some are even listed on two seperate digital channels. But after a while, maybe 10-15 minutes, it will re-map the digital channels to their base without the -1. When it does this, it won't find the sub channel even if I enter it manually. It's very frustrating like this. I tried setting the digital channels to the turbotune but that didn't help either. Now it seems I can only enjoy 10-15 minutes of local HDTV at at time.(Except for PBS, which maps its digital channels at a seperate channel then the regular one.

Any ideas???

------------------

William

Go Bucs

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now i have the guide cleared and I get all the HDTV I want. The problem is, without the guide, I can't tune to the DirecTV channels. Any of them. So I can go back and update the guide for the DirecTV, but then I won't get the HDTV feeds anymore. AUGH!!!

------------------

William

Go Bucs

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I know this doesn't help your current situation, but now you know why I returned that STB and bought the Sony; hopefully you still have that option.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So..there is no way to manually enter channels into the guide without a scan?

Bill

------------------

Cranial Nerve II With control by III, IV, and VI

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Try a scan after removing your zip code. Then allow the guide to download.

If that doesn't work, you might phone Mitsubishi.

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I remove the zip code is when it goes into "smart mode". Basically it figures out all the OTA call signs(even independent stations). Perhaps it gets it from the DirecTV satellite. That may be why I can have the HDTV channels when the DirecTV isn't set up. Once I set up the guide for DirecTV it screws up the digital channels. Only the ones that are stored at a different location from their primary channel can be found. I have NBC which is listed digitally as 35 but it's showing up on 2-1(SD), 2-2(HD), and 2-3(HD doppler radar). PBS lists as channel 9 but shows up on 80-3,4,5,6. I can only get a signal from 80-3 though. Not sure what the others are for. I can't get FOX which is 27-1, ABC at 32-1, and CBS at 31-1. Although when I get all the HDTV, I can also get CBS at 11-1. I just can't get it when the DirecTV is up.

------------------

William

Go Bucs

·
Registered
36 Posts
William,

I spent all day yesterday on a job in River Oaks with a Toshiba DST-3000, fighting the same problem with the exact same results.

Looking for an answer.

Larry

·
Registered
345 Posts
I also have an HD-5 and I think it only alows me to add the digital channels if it first "sees" them after Scanning for channels. I only find this to be a pain when I was trying to program channels from 80 miles away and I dont always get the signal. As soon as I was able to pick up a good signal, I Scanned, and then they were added.

Otherwise, I do like my receiver, and now that I have all the channels in the list, I have no problems. Sometimes it is the stations fault, as they may not be sending.

Steve

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
William--

After re-reading your original post, I realized that your 15 minute problem is similar to the one I had with my first and former HD-5.

The basic cause was that two of the FCC assigned HD channel numbers are the same as those of two distant analog stations which the zip code allowed to be scanned. This prevented the HD channels from scanning. Thus, people in the Miami area do not use the zip code with Hughes manufactured STBs.

My problem was magnified when the HD-5 reverted to zip code mode about every 15 minutes. I discovered a temporary fix via a soft reboot (SAT, ACTION, POWER), however it only lasted 15 minutes.

After several phone conversations with Mitsubishi, during which we tried everything--including completely expunging the STB's memory -- without success, they agreed to replace the STB. This was done via a swap with my dealer.

As for your other problem, the DT channels are supposed to remap to go with the comparable analog channel. For example, your NBC analog channel is 2. The NBC DT channel should show as 2-1, regardless of the FCC assigned channel number.

That some channels have multiple sub-channels, some of them blank, is normal so long as one of them carries the main channel and HD programming.

If you speak with Mitsubishi about the channel loss, refer them to my file, which is in the name of William Brenner.

Let me know what happens at [email protected]

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is the STB!!!!! If you have Mits,Hughes, and Toshiba and live in the Houston area you will all have the same problem. They are all made by Hughes with the adv. guide and the adv. guide is the problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wierd. The STB remapped all the channels to their local number. Before, only NBC was on 2-1, 2-2, 2-3. Now ABC is on 13-1, CBS is on 11-1, and Fox is on 26-1. Wierd.

I just hope it lasts.

------------------

William

Go Bucs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.