AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using an MDR513H fed with cable coax doesn't record the HD digital channels, just the SD ones. I looked at the 'How Virtualized Cable-QAM Channels Can Cause "Oddities" in Tuning' post, other similar threads suggested when creating this post, and searched for some keywords, but I didn't get a convincing answer yet. I can record channel 3.5 (an NBC SD feed), but not 3.1 (an NBC HD feed). I get the above post's black window symptom when I record the HD channel, with the date/time/channel correctly specified in the timer programming window. I can receive/view both the HD and SD channels. I called Funai support, but the guy had some story about the unit was really only designed for digital channel reception of OTA channels, and he claimed I was lucky to get digital channels over cable. Looking at the unit user guide in the Timer Recording section, it has a table with channel types of "Digital TV" and "Digital CATV", which I would suspect is OTA/VSB and cable/QAM256 respectively. So I wouldn't think the recorder part of the unit would care, and just record its tuner's output. I wouldn't expect it NOT to record an HD feed, but convert it to an SD quality appropriate for a DVD, even though I'm recording to the HDD. While pressing the support guy further, he suggested that if I can view a channel but not record it, it was a copyright issue that was causing this. But, I never had this issue in the DVD recorder (Panasonic EZ48) that this unit replaced. So, is there a simple/clear reason I'm seeing this? Any way around it? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I went through the "Magnavox 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575" sticky post, as well as the one below it, and I didn't see a clear answer. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts