AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble setting this system up. I have a Sony HDTV with four HDMI inputs and several game consoles (Xbox360, Wii, PS2). The Wii is connected via component cables, PS2 with composite cables and the Xbox360 is connected via HDMI. How would I go about setting this up and making sure that all the consoles will get surround sound? I tried by plugging the Xbox360 directly into the receiver via HDMI and then plugged the receiver into the TV via HDMI and it did not work. Also, how would I go about getting sound to the other two consoles if I did go about using that setup? I called Sony and they thought that the HDMI out on the receiver might be broken but I don't think so because I just got it today after returning another set yesterday after running into the same problem.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITIetalhead /forum/post/14340639

I'm having trouble setting this system up. I have a Sony HDTV with four HDMI inputs and several game consoles (Xbox360, Wii, PS2). The Wii is connected via component cables, PS2 with composite cables and the Xbox360 is connected via HDMI. How would I go about setting this up and making sure that all the consoles will get surround sound? I tried by plugging the Xbox360 directly into the receiver via HDMI and then plugged the receiver into the TV via HDMI and it did not work. Also, how would I go about getting sound to the other two consoles if I did go about using that setup? I called Sony and they thought that the HDMI out on the receiver might be broken but I don't think so because I just got it today after returning another set yesterday after running into the same problem.

I'm assuming you have the Xbox 360 plugged in via HDMI to one of the inputs on the receiver, with the HDMI output connected to the TV. Does video work with the Xbox 360 when you run it through the receiver, just without audio? If so, you might need to check your Xbox 360's settings to see if you have to manually select using HDMI for audio. If you haven't tried that already, do it and see if it works.

As for your other systems, use optical connections direct from the consoles to the optical inputs on the receiver to get surround audio. You can send the video straight from the consoles to the TV.

EDIT: Sorry, I totally forgot the Wii doesn't have optical output. You'll have to use the RCA cables connected to your receiver and then use something like Dolby Pro Logic II to simulate surround sound.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but do you know if it's possible to just connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI and optical audio while leaving all the consoles connected to the TV to give surround to all of them that way?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITIetalhead /forum/post/14341635

Thanks, but do you know if it's possible to just connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI and optical audio while leaving all the consoles connected to the TV to give surround to all of them that way?

With most TVs that will not work. Most TVs only output surround sound from the optical out when using their own tuner.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an older Sony receiver that I had connected to my HDTV with component and optical prior to this purchase and all my consoles had surround sound. Are the newer receivers different because they wont allow that?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If it worked with your older Sony receiver it should work with the new receiver. I think that depends on the TV and not the receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts