Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem:

I just got my new home wired up with my replaytv's (one 5040 and one 5516) wirelessly. My previous home was lucky enough to have hardwiring easy to run.

Here is what I'm using:

Room one:

-Cable modem

- speedstream router acting as DHCP

- Buffalo WBR2-G54 hooked to one of the lan ports, DHCP off

Room two:

- Replaytv 5040

- Buffalo WBR2-G54 (dhcp turned off)

Room three (upstairs):

- Replaytv 5516

- Motorola WA840G 802.11g Wireless Access Point

---

I can stream standard and medium programming just fine, but HIGH quality often stutters. Also when I'm trying to watch one streaming program, then it finishes, and go to another program housed on the OTHER replaytv, my replaytv will reboot itself for no reason.

Is the motorola access point the problem? I've read many posts here that the buffalo routers work great for this chore... but I don't have any past benchmark to use it against since my previous setup had all hardwiring.

Or is it the fact that the main Buffalo isn't acting as DHCP a problem? I wouldn't think this is a problem.

I do have both buffalo's set to "G" access points only to keep bandwidth up. The space between them is 20-25 feet tops!

I can't get rid of the speedstream router since it has a built-in print server that I don't want to lose at this time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would swap the Speedstream router and Buffalo router in how they are hooked up.

Go cable modem -> Buffalo router with DHCP on -> Speedstream (with DHCP off). Configure the speedstream for a fixed IP address and use that address when you configure the print server on your computer. I had to do this when I used my SMC Barricade router (not wireless) only for the print server. Now that I have a dedicated USB print server, I obviously have it downstream from the Buffalo.

Configuring it this way, my wife is also able to print to the printer in the basement from her laptop anywhere in the house.

Also, how do you have the bridging set up? In my house, my main computer with cable modem and Buffalo #1 is bridged to Buffalo #2 (Replay 5040). #2 is bridged to both #1 and #3 (which has Replay 5504). Each of the three routers are on a different floor of the house. I can stream fine with either DVArchive on the computer or either of the Replays. No stuttering or rebooting.

I'm not sure if the Motorola is causing any problems. I thought it had a Broadcom chipset, just like the Buffalo routers. I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but just pointing out what works for me.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.