AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin by indicating that I’m a novice with Linux. However, I have been successful using the command prompt within Windows XP to list all the *.mpg files (extract_rtv –d) on the Replay drive.

Although when I try to extract a single file (971351356.mpg) and do not specifically indicate the desired partition, I am requested to choose a partition (both partition 1 and 2 have data). The system then responds by stating “Couldn’t find the file 971351356.mpg.†So how do I extract a file, I know I’m close? Thanks!

-Rainman

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Rainman I'm not sure if anyone has stated if extract_rtv works well with XP now?? I use the linux version and its not difficult... I used dylans bootdisk and followed flipflop's instructions. Does the file you are trying to grab still play on the Replay? If it is there you should be able to extract it to your windrive from p2 linked or unlinked just following the commands. Someone else will have to speak up about XP I'm not "Kappa" testing that quite yet.:rolleyes: But when you choose a partition choose p2 and it should copy the file from there to where you are running extract_rtv from.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Works great with my Windows XP Home installation.

One caveat: XP's product activation feature looks for changes to hardware to determine if you need to call them to verify your ownership. I haven't used extract_rtv enough to know if continually adding and removing the Replay's hard drive will trigger that "feature." If it does, it's just a phone call, but just pointing the possibility out.

I don't think this is the case, though. I seem to remember that removable drives are "exempt" from the activation code, and, although the hard drive is not marked as "removable," I would think that the code is robust enough to "undo" changes that occur and disappear so they don't count against you. I have no first-hand knowledge either way and haven't read the whitepaper in a few months, but I'll post if something happens.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richardtallent

O]

One caveat:

in other words Richard: "better learn to use linux fast before billy's demon bots determine your lease has expired on your own Replay drives and decide they should lock you out... until you send in more money" I'll tell you what if XP even tried to count all my hard drives I think that activation "feature" (virus) would already be spooked by the number of times I'd have ghosted over it. That's why I'm not even plunking down my money until I'm comfy with a dependable workaround.

Edit: but back to the topic @ hand sounds like it should work in XP!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.