AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Radeon 9800 Pro (CATALYST 5.6) and am using TheaterTek 2.1.1.18 with ffdshow (20041012).

I am having some problems using ffdshow to resize the picture, however. I'm resizing to 1280x720 and have tried using both bicubic and lanczos with basically the same result. It shows quite clearly on a blue FBI screen.

When I'm not using ffdshow (plain TheaterTek, or VMR9 Fullscreen) the blue background is smooth. However, if I switch in ffdshow, something that looks like MPEG artifacts appear and are quite evident. There are some kind of horizontal "scanlines" in different shades of blue, and around the white letters there is a mishmash of different blues as opposed to a smooth fade when not using ffdshow.

Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong here?

·
Registered
779 Posts
You need to help us a bit with your settings.

are you JUST using resize? are you adding any sharpening? What are you resize settings, and what is the original source size you are trying to resize (ntsc dvd? - guessing from the FBI warning)?

Do you have any other ffdshow plugin's set? Are you deinterlacing? what deinterlacer are you using? Add deinterlacing to ffdshow to see if it "effect" the problem you are seeing.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried both using resize alone and with blur&NR. The problem is the same regardless. You guessed correct as to the source (NTSC DVD).

I haven't set anything particular with regards to de-interlacing, so I suppose TheaterTek is taking care of that?

I'll get back to you when I've tried enabling de-interlacing in ffdshow as I'm not at my HTPC right now.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Start w/ resize 1280x720, Lanczos step2, .30 lanczos luma blur & sharpen. Nothing else.

No deinterlacing in ffdshow.

What's your CPU speed?. What codecs are you using? If nvidia, set deinterlacing to auto or smart. You can put up the FBI screen and adjust ffdshow at the same time. Make sure you are using VMR9 windowless, not renderless...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.