AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have Tvix 4000 (fw 2.1.4A) wired to a SimpleTech SimpleShare NAS (160GB, fw 1.07). Music, Pictures, Camcorder mpegs (old s-video footage) stream fine, however, SD DVDs (iso) plays with a lot of stutter.

The Tvix -> NAS protocol is smb.

[fyi, SD DVD ISOs shared on PC hd running Divco NetShare (NFS) software plays fine over the network (10/100).]

When I changed Tvix -> NAS to use NFS ("normal"), Tvix shows the message "Error reading disk".

(fyi, in the SimpleShare NAS, the checkboxes for CIF/Samba and NFS has been checked i.e. I assume both protocols are supported).

Anyone using Tvix with Simpleshare NAS had similar issues? Is there anything more to do on the NAS to enable NFS (other than checking the checkbox)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandun /forum/post/0

Hi,

I have Tvix 4000 (fw 2.1.4A) wired to a SimpleTech SimpleShare NAS (160GB, fw 1.07). Music, Pictures, Camcorder mpegs (old s-video footage) stream fine, however, SD DVDs (iso) plays with a lot of stutter.

The Tvix -> NAS protocol is smb.

[fyi, SD DVD ISOs shared on PC hd running Divco NetShare (NFS) software plays fine over the network (10/100).]

When I changed Tvix -> NAS to use NFS ("normal"), Tvix shows the message "Error reading disk".

(fyi, in the SimpleShare NAS, the checkboxes for CIF/Samba and NFS has been checked i.e. I assume both protocols are supported).

Anyone using Tvix with Simpleshare NAS had similar issues? Is there anything more to do on the NAS to enable NFS (other than checking the checkbox)?

Thanks.

Hi!

I do not know the perticular NAS, but have a ReadyNas NAS, so I can only give you a few hints.

When doing NFS on the tvix you need to have the same sharename as your share on the NAS. For my NAS its "media", so under the NFS settings on the tvix I have "media", as well as the IPadress of my NAS.

You might also need to add a tvixhd1 user on your NAS. Not sure how it is implemented wrt. user access, but on mine I had to add a tvixhd1 user, with PW set to tvixhd1 (to gain access)

In the old days (which was last year...
) I had to create a separate share named tvixhd1 on my NAS (and copy what I wanted to watch over to that share).

That was in the days before the tvix could insert a user selectable sharename.

Hope that would give you some starting ideas...

M.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Meenenator,

Thanks for the response. I happened to use a simlar setup as you did i..e using a sharename of 'media'. On the Simpletech (SimpleShare), one can create arbitrary username/pw or use Windows workgroup usernames. I tried both. Currently set up to use Simpleshare managed username/pw (i.e. created user with name=tvixhd1, pass is same). I get the "Error reading disk" message for NFS. (works fine for smb, but too slow for ISOs).

A NFS share on my PC (using Divco NetShare util) works well.

Reading thru the forums, it seems that Infrant's NV is the popular choice for Tvix (as well as Roku or Squeezebox alike), though it is out my budget (for now, at least).

·
Registered
72 Posts
if you have already created tvixhd1 user with same password, then there can the following two issues

#1 your network routes are not configured properly, which is why tvix can't reach your NAS

#2 under the 'server name', you have to type the complete NFS address of share e.g. if path to your files is under 'media' folder, then tvix settings would be

"server name" : /raid/data/media

"server IP": xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes /forum/post/0

if you have already created tvixhd1 user with same password, then there can the following two issues

#1 your network routes are not configured properly, which is why tvix can't reach your NAS

#2 under the 'server name', you have to type the complete NFS address of share e.g. if path to your files is under 'media' folder, then tvix settings would be

"server name" : /raid/data/media

"server IP": xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

or maybe just "/media"...

(used ProNFS for a time, and that NFS server needed the "/" in front of the sharename)

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenenator /forum/post/0

or maybe just "/media"...

(used ProNFS for a time, and that NFS server needed the "/" in front of the sharename)

thats really interesting
because my thecus N5200 did not work with "/media", so had to key in the entire path... hmmmnn... so many options... what is an idiot to do

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Calvin and Meenenator:

Thanks again. The NFS path did the trick. For other SimpleShare owners, here is the info:

In the SimpleShare drives (web interface), the only options you have is to create "diskpools" and toplevel sharenames (e.g. "Media") for the disk pool. The unit ships with a default disk pool named "SimplePool". It is under this, I created the share "Media". In CIFS/Windows shares, all you see is the top level shares e.g. "Media".

To mount Tvix to the SimpleShare drive (using NFS/"Normal"), the sharename("server name") should be in the following format:

/shares/Pool_Name/Share_Name

where Pool_Name is the name of the diskpool and Share_Name is name of the shared folder. In my case, it is:

/shares/SimplePool/Media

Note: the path names are case sensitive (unix). The NFS path is not documented - but was able Google it. Note also that I created the username/password tvixhd1 on the drive.

I have not tried streaming ISO's yet - will try tonight after work.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched 1-2 chapters from a few SD DVD ISOs - played without any problems. Not bad for a low budget NAS.

WMV HD samples from MS WMV HD showcase site also played without any hiccups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.