AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 XP PCs on my ethernet network tha can all see each other and are a cinch to set up.My Vista Home Basic PC has been nothing but a pain. Initially I could only see my other networked PCs wirelessly (despite being hardwired) This ofcourse killed my HD viewing over the network. After getting a new Gigabit router (and turning off my wireless adapter), I am attached to the network, can surf online, but cannot see any of the PCs on the network. All the XP PCs see each other though. Can someone help me view my other PCs (ie my media server)?

Thanks.

hjackson

·
Registered
62 Posts
Vista does cause some headaches when it comes to workgroup sharing...

Some things to check:

1. Same Workgroup name on the Vista machine as XP.

2. Firewalls/Antivirus

3. Can you ping the other machines?

4. Can you browse the computer shares directly. What I mean is 'Start>Run' then type \\\\

5. In the Network and Sharing center on the Vista machine, make sure that the network type is 'Private'.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Make sure they all have the same workgroup name.

Same login or user helps, or else you will have to add permissions to the files you want to share.

Open "Network and Sharing Center" on Vista machine. Verify Network discovery is "On", also turn on "File Sharing". The Vista machine will need to know that the network is not public, "I believe" when network discovery is turned on, it will ask if the network is private or public, be sure not to pick public.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I have done all of Shozbot's suggestions except #3 (which I forget how to do). I can't browse files directly. The other PCs see my Vista PC on the network, but they cannot access it. Changing my login name hasn't worked either. If I didn't think it would mess up my HP TouchSmart PC, I would definitely switch the OS to XP.

hjackson

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjackson /forum/post/14324809

The other PCs see my Vista PC on the network, but they cannot access it.

You will only see folders that you have turn on sharing for;

Let's say you want to share "Documents" folder, right click on the folder and select "Share". In the box next to add select "Everyone" or "The current user on all computer" (I recommend "everyone), then "add", and then select permission level for the added name.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's OK you're not crazy. This is a known problem especially if you have XP machines too. It's happening to me too.

What's worse is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't which makes troubleshooting difficult. I bought Windows Home Server and had to abandon it because the network is so unreliable. It's not the connections, it happens with wireless or wired.

Try the Microsoft forums - last time I looked I couldn't understand the advice!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
When you share a folder on the Vista machine you have to go deeper into the settings and make sure that 'everyone' has access to the folder.

I had a lot of problems with XP and vista machines seeing disks on my Vista x64 machine, once I had the sharing sorted 'properly' I didn't have any more problems.

I am sorry my explanation is a bit vague but if you dig around you should find what I am on about

Adam

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hate vista for this reason.

XP is so easy to home network ...........vista should be even easier as it is an upgraded OS.....but sadly not so.

I have had the same problem as you.....after some tinkering i did get it to work.

I am not sure what i did to remedy this (sorry) but it is do-able ....good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts