AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Bravo D1 Player and I hooked it up via DVI with my Sammy HLM507w DLP. My first problem is that I can get 480p and 720p but cannot get the picture in 1080i over the DVI when toggling around with the scaling options. I can see a picture but it is continually flickering. I understand that 720p is better and it really is nice but I would still like to see 1080i thru the DVI connection. What can I do?

Another problem I am having is upscaling copy protected DVD's over component cables. I have tried the tv/video buttons when the disc is spinning as suggested but for some reason it does not work. I can only get 480p thru the component cables. When trying to upscale all I get is a blue screen with my DLP saying there is no signal which causes me to hit the tv/video button until I can see a picture again in 480p.

Any advice here is appreciated also.

I guess all I want to do is be able to watch DVD's either thru component or DVI cables using all viewable formats(480p,720p, and 1080i) on my Sammy DLP.

Oh, my DVI cables are DVI-D.

Thanks

BigJJL

·
Registered
282 Posts
BigJJL-

The native resolution of your Sammy DLP is 1280 x 720.

If you want to get a true digital 1:1 pixel mapping (and the best picture for your set) you should keep your Bravo D1 at 720p. Going to 1080i (even if it does work) will cause the image to be scaled internally by the TV and you won't get an exact copy of the image like you can when running 720p.

Aaron

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like what I said :) 720P is native on that set.

Jim

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
BigJJL:

aaron.s and vfrjim are correct. Stick with 720 over the DVI and digital audio out. This is the only viable signal path for your TV (I also have the 507 but not yet the D1). I don't know why you want 720p or 1080i over component but everything I have seen says that you shouldn't look to the D1 for that capability.

I know some others are claiming to get 720 and 1080i over component cables but I suspect they really aren't "fooling" the player - there is some other explanation (including the possibility that they really aren't getting 720 from the player but are seeing the result of upscaling in their TV sets).

So, how does the picture look at 720 over the DVI? How is the audio?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mnilan,

I now know you guys are right in telling me to stay w/ 720p over the DVI connection. I was just curious as to what 1080i looked like over component or DVI. But, for some reason or another this seems impossible.

The picture over 720p is really awesome and even though I am relatively new to the forum I can totally see the difference in the picture.

JJL

·
Registered
282 Posts
mnilan,

No - the Bravo D1 does actually output 720p and 1080i over component.

When I originally tried it on my Sony Grand Wega II LCD Projection set, I went into the service menu to tweak the input and it indicated on the screen what resolution it's receiving.

It displayed 720p when thats what I was running -- and same for 1080i.

Again, this player ISN'T for its component outputs - DVI is the way to go.

Aaron

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aaron.s,

Based on the info. in your post would I then need to tweak my Sammy DLP in order to get 720p and 1080i over component? If so, do you or anyone else know how and what tweaks are necessary for the Sammy DLP?

JJL

·
Registered
282 Posts
JJL -

I don't have the Sammy, so I can't advise you there.... but head on over the the Rear Projector forum -- there are several threads on tweaking the Samsung DLP for optimal picture quality.

However - you really shouldn't connect this player to the component inputs - this player really only shines when connected via DVI - you can do a lot better if you need a DVD player to connect to your component inputs.

Aaron

·
Registered
813 Posts
I recently unpacked the unit and plugged it using component out of curiosity. First disk was Avia and I was able to cycle through all modes including 480i/480p/720p/1080i. The projector confirmed the signal type for each of cycled resolutions. When I switched to a macrovision protected DVD, I was no longer able to switch above 480P (via component). Bottom line, it appears component output above 480P will be restricted on MV-protected discs. If you want to test the ouput above 480P, make sure the DVD does not have MV (Blade II is a good candidate).

One odd finding is that when you display 480P on my projector had the dreaded macrovision image bend at the top of the image. If I switch to 480 DVI then macrovision is disabled in the component outputs. Regardless, quality from any of the 480P outputs is quite bad. When displaying the color bars there is plenty of odd video noise and the image is quite soft. I followed up by using a Panny RP56, and the difference was quite outstanding.

Bottom line, the Bravo components outputs could have been left in the manufacturing floor. Can't wait to test DVI.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LMDA1,

I talked w/ tech support about the bravo d1 and they said some models had issues upscaling w/ RPTV's such as my sammy DLP. I am waiting to hear from V inc. tech support on resolving this problem which appears to have something to do with improper spec #'s loaded into the dvd player.

JJL

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigJJL
LMDA1,

I talked w/ tech support about the bravo d1 and they said some models had issues upscaling w/ RPTV's such as my sammy DLP. I am waiting to hear from V inc. tech support on resolving this problem which appears to have something to do with improper spec #'s loaded into the dvd player.

JJL
Let us know if there is a firmware update to fix it, I am still waiting to purchase the D1 for my Sammy, but most likely will.

Jim

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vfrjim,

When talking with tech support they were not sure what they are going to do in fixing the problem. However, they did mention a possible firmware update to fix the issues w/bravo players like the one that I have as a solution. But, as of now they just do not know!

Tech support did also mention that they pay attention to what is being said on this forum regarding the bravo d1. I would encourage anyone who is having a problem to post them on this thread or others that are out there.

I will post further info regarding the final solution to this problem as soon I find out.

BigJJL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.