AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

first off I hope I'm in the right thread and don't get bashed for this.

I'm new to these sphere's and I don't really know a lot about HD stuff so please kindly bare with me.

My sister recently bought a HP EliteBook 8530p laptop, the specs are:

C2D T9400 2.53ghz

2 gigs ram

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 256MB

Intel PM45 Express Chipset ICH9M-Enhanced

Vista 32bit

I've installed CoreAVC (with Haali's splitter), AC3Filter and MPC for playback and hooked the laptop to her fullhd lcd tv via short 1.3 hdmi cable. Now, 720p mkv's look great but when I load a 1080p file the video gets slightly laggy (on action scenes) and colours get kind of weirdly saturated.

Since she lives far away from me, I'm trying to gather up as much information as possible before I go fiddleing around with the settings next time.

I have a few questions:

- Is the laptop simply too slow to handle 1080p?

- Should I try different codecs? (If so kindly tell me which)

- Are there any special settings I need to enable in ATI's Catalyst?

- Could it be that the hdmi cable is faulty and can't handle a 1080p stream?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats very odd, I have a HP 2710p Tablet PC which has a Core 2 Duo ULV U7600 (1200 MHz, 2 MB L2-cache, 533 mhz bus) and it plays most 1080p mkv's just fine except the most intense action scenes using the latest version of CoreAVC.

A T9400 should be a lot faster than my U7600.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really is strange indeed. I forgot to mention though, that playing the 1080p mkv's on the laptop itself look just fine. It would appear it's got something to do with the HDMI output perhaps?

Any thoughts are welcome guys, thanks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Why are you using CoreAVC as your h264 decoder? CoreAVC is a software decoder only. It does not make use of your video card h264 decoding capabilities. Use MPC Home Cinema with its built-in h264 decoder that will take advantage of your ati 3650 hardware acceleration. High bit-rate 1080p mkvs (>12000 Mbps) can studder on dual core cpus when there is no video card decoding. Also keep in mind the mkvs need to be encoded to take advantage of hardware decoding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input Zagor!

Like I said I'm new at this and still learning so this idea totally slipped by me. I'm guessing you're talking about mkvs encoded for DXVA decoding? Or am I completley off?

However does this mean that 1080p files that aren't encoded this way won't be able (due to lack of hardware decoding) to run smoothly through a hdmi output at all? Not even with any other codec configuration apart from the one I'm currently trying?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzayblah /forum/post/15484039

Thanks for your input Zagor!

Like I said I'm new at this and still learning so this idea totally slipped by me. I'm guessing you're talking about mkvs encoded for DXVA decoding? Or am I completley off?

However does this mean that 1080p files that aren't encoded this way won't be able (due to lack of hardware decoding) to run smoothly through a hdmi output at all? Not even with any other codec configuration apart from the one I'm currently trying?

Thanks again.

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about, DXVA decoding. If a 1080p h264 is NOT encoded to take advantage of DXVA decoding then the CPU has to to ALL of the decoding. While this usually isn't a problem when you have a powerfull CPU, some high bit-rate 1080p can studder even on high-end dual cores. Just the other day I was trying to play a 1920x1080p 12000 Mbps bit-rate (no DXVA encoding) mkv and my x2 dual-core 5400+ was studdering (spiking near 100% cpu usage). I re-encoded the mkv using the exact same resolution and bit-rate but within DXVA specs and it now plays fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very insightful. Had no idea 1080p mkvs were such cpu guzzling creatures.

Will put all this new information to the test tomorrow and hopefully won't need to return here crying with new problems

Thanks again much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.