AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been helping a friend debug some issues he's been having with his DG920 and i can't figure out what's wrong. here's the setup.

Sony BDP-BX2 blu ray player -> Sony STR-DG920 via hdmi

Sony STR-DG920 -> Samsung LN52A630 via hdmi

with the blu-ray player set to output 1080p, some weird things show up on the tv.
  • random pixels will flash white or a line of pixels will flash white, so the overall effect is like sparkles. these show up on the menu screen and also when playing a movie from a dvd (non blu-ray).
  • when i played a blu-ray disc (star trek), i didn't see the sparkle effect.
  • i changed the video setting on the blu-ray player to output 1080i and that cleaned things up. no sparkles on the menu screen or during movie playback (dvd and blu-ray).
  • i also didn't get the sparkle effect when the blu-ray player was set to output 1080p connected directly to the tv via hdmi.
  • i confirmed that the avr passes the hdmi signal to the tv without any conversion. as another experiment, i connected the blu-ray player to the avr using component cables. the blu-ray player could only output 1080i in this case so the avr would upconvert the 1080i signal to 1080p. no sparkles.
  • i tried connecting the blu-ray player to different hdmi inputs on the avr. sparkles still showed up.
  • i tried a hard reset of the system and powered up the tv, avr, and blu-ray player in that sequence. no help.

any ideas about what the problem is? it seems like when the blu-ray player is outputting 1080p over hdmi and is supposed to be routed to the tv by the avr untouched, the sparkles show up. it doesn't happen at lower resolutions over hdmi. when the upconverting circuitry is called into play, the 1080p signal is clean.

as a temporary fix, the blu-ray player is still connected to the receiver but outputting 1080i, since that seemed to clean things up. but i would like to get 1080p working.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought it might be a cable issue. but one experiment i ran was to disconnect the cable from the hdmi out of the avr and connect it to the hdmi out on the blu-ray player. no sparkles. but i don't know if replacing the cable is an option. it's run through the walls.

i understand what you mean about 1080p stressing the cables, but what's weird is that when playing a 1080p movie from a blu-ray disc, star trek, the image was clean. but when playing a lower res movie from a dvd or displaying the blu-ray player's menu screen, the sparkles show up. in each case, the blu-ray player is sending down a 1080p signal but in some cases it's clean and other cases it's not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.