AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after lurking for a couple weeks on the forum, I decided to buy an AE100. I've been very happy with it taking component out from my Pioneer DV-434, but everyone here says that there's no comparison to an HTPC.

I took an old Athlon 900mHz with an Nvidia GeForce GTS, reformatted, installed XP, PowerDVD, and Powerstrip. I followed Lions directions, but no matter what I do the test pattern just doesn't show up correctly. There are arcing vertical bands stemming from the center of the picture that branch towards the outer edges of the bottom. Also, the text just doesn't look that clear. It's pretty obvious that it isn't being matched 1-1. My AE100 settings are : DOT CLK +8 CLK PHASE 0

After seeing this, I tried 720P as described by Lion. It looks better, but still not "right". I play the DVD through the DVD player and it looks about the same. Any suggestions, or any more information I need to provide?

Ty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did your tutorial as well. Actually I couldn't change to Lions settings exactly, but I could switch to yours. Still the same problems...

Ty

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Have you followed the guide at the end with setting your desktop and trying to eliminate the pattern? I only bring this up because it seems like you just took Li On's clock and phase settings verbatim.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I followed the guide until the end. Even when I get rid of the vertical bands, there are still the horizontal ones. Maybe I'm expecting something that I shouldn't? When you see the OSD you can tell it's mapped correctly - on the PC it doesn't look nearly that crisp, and some text looks better than other text, depending on where it is on the screen.

Ty

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
What kind of VGA cable are you using?

Does the projector "auto-setup" work at all?

Is the projector reporting WIDE480?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using what is probably a poor video cable - just one I used to use with my KVM switch. It's probably about 2m long. I plan on buying one from bettercables when I move into my house in a month and set up a dedicated theater. I have another cable I will try, but this doesn't seem to be caused by that. I once extended a VGA cable with a very bad extension, so I believe I know what that would look like. I don't claim to be an expert in any capacity, however.

Auto-setup makes the test background look really bad with lots of bands. In the DVD, I can't tell a difference between anything I've tried so far (480P, 720P, and my DVD player via component).

The projector is reporting 480P. Thank you very much for helping me. :)

Ty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow... the cable was the problem. I would have never guessed. Thanks a lot, Namlemez! I have to admit the picture on DVDs doesn't really look different to me, but I never had complaints to begin with.

Ty

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Well since you say it is solved, maybe this is dumb to bring up...

But for best HTPC performance, you want it in WIDE480 mode, not 480p. Do you have PC Priority set to Wide in the setup menu?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.