AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Sony KP57WV700 RPTV (HD, 16x9) which has a Contrast screen with a double-anti-reflective coating on it. When I attempted the clean this screen according to the instructions in the manual (using a soft cloth moistened with "mild" soap and warm water), some of the AR coating apparently came off which resulted in having large unremoveable streaks on the screen. I had to have this screen replaced under warranty (thank God, since it's a $720 part!), and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar trouble with their Sony or other brand AR-coated contrast screen. It seems that these screens cannot be wet-wiped with anything for fear of removing some of the AR coating. Or, is this problem just generic to Sony? Also, I'm seeking a safe method, if there is one, or product to use with which I can periodically clean my screen. I have a smoker in the family so you can see why I might be concerned about this. Any suggestions or information would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would suggest going to a Sears optical or something similar and buying their anti-reflective lens cleaning kit. It should consist of a spray bottle with a special solution for AR lenses and a microfiber lens cloth. Someone else asked this at the yahoo HS10 forum and this is what I recommended too. If you are worried about it hurting your screen goto the dealer where you bought your TV and try out this recommendation.

It also could be the case the the smoke residue on the screen is making this situation more problematic--maybe you should take away their cigarettes ;)

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I had the same problem with my Sony 65xbr2, however it was outside of the warranty period so I had to shell out the $750 for parts and labor. I cleaned it using the recommendation in the manual (warm water) and it happened anyway. Neither I, nor my fiancee, will ever touch the screen again except to softly wipe away dust, and only then if it is unbearable.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

Although I smoke, I do not do so in the house, so I don't know if or how the smoke affects the anti-glare screen. I'd make the smoker go outside, or at least make that room off-limits to smoke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.