602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the gist of my system:

-P4 3.06GHz

-ATI 9600SE

-Catalyst 3.4

-Powerstrip

-Mitsubishi 65" Widescreen

-VGA Breakout direct to DTV in, no dongle required.

-TheaterTek

-Reclock

-FFDSHOW

-WinXP Pro

Experimenting with:

-WinDVD 5 filters

-Zoomplayer

-VMR9

I'm running a few different resolutions on my HTPC such as 1800x960i and 1440x960i. I get vertical overscan at 1080i timings making circles too oval and people too tall. I really want to have a usable 1920x1080i resolution so I can properly watch WMVHD content. I have my Mitsubishi so finely tuned that I get bothered buy scaling artifacts on any resolution other 1080i when viewing 1080i content. In addition, I see artifacts when viewing DVD's at resolutions other than 1440x960i but to my eyes that resolution is a bit soft. This problem have plagued me for years and I desperately want to fix it now that I am moving towards High Def content.

I have a few problems.

1) Last night I installed the latest WinDVD 5 and Zoomplayer. I tested DVD content to see if maybe TheaterTek was causing it. Using VMR9 I noticed that scaling artifacts were completely absent from the picture and the image quality was like glass. There was something improved in the image other than the lack of artifacts I could not put my finger on. I really dig this VMR9 but one major problem. Any time the screen pans or bright lights flash the images goes all nutty. It scales down the screen. I know this is the renderer but should'nt I have a fast enough system to not have this happen? Lightning in the movie will make the image flutter, I don't know what to call it.

How do I get smooth pans and precise images with VMR9?

2) I watched the HD Coral Reef and was amazed. But again, since I cannot get a normal 1920x1080i screen resolution I was forced to set it at the nearest closest resolution for proper aspect ratio of 1800x960i. The image was nice but I was too distracted the minor artifacts caused by improper scaling. When I set my desktop to 1920x1080i the image was immaculate and gave me butterflies in my stomach but when there were round objects or people on screen I was reminded how this image is stretched tall.

How am I suppose to watch HD content on an ATI card with a breakout cable when there doesn't seem to be a true 1920x1080i resolution to use? AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

3) The same problem goes for my new Fushion card. I can't watch any 1080i TV at the proper scaling because I have to set my desktop to 1800x960i to get the proportions correct. Again, scaling artifacts.

4) Regarding Zoomplayer. There are different setting for VMR9 so which am I to use? Windowed or Windowless?

5) Should I not use reclock when running Zoomplayer and FFDshow?

This situation is killing me and I need to fix it. I can't believe I am the only one with all this stuff that can't display a simple properly scaled 1080i desktop resolution with major distortions. Is there any help for this?? I know most people use the Dongle but I would prefer to stay hooked the way I am.

As alway, sny help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Unfortunately the overscan at 1080i inherent in all RPTVs will probably prevent you from ever getting "perfect" geometry AND minimal overscan.

If you adjust the raster area of your TV in service mode so that overscan is minimsed there is probably too much distortion to be able to get proper convergence.

If you adjust the raster so that you have perfect geometry at 1080i you will probably end up with about 5% or more overscan (guessing here). For fullscreen HD this probably isn't an issue, but for desktops it is.

My suggestion would be as follows.

1. Dive into service mode and get your set tweaked with true 1920x1080 signal and live with the overscan.

2. Run your desktop / DVD resolution at 1440x960 or 1800x960 for perfect DVD scaling as you already are. Overscan here will probably be acceptable.

3. Use a powerstrip application profile to change the resolution to 1920x1080i when you are running 1080i applications like WMV-HD or the Fusion card. This assumes you live with the overscan with those apps.

As far as your pan issues, do you have vsync turned on in reclock? Either way, check out the vsync monitor feature in Reclock to double check that it is working or that it isn't fighting with the vsync mechanisms that are already running.

Short of waiting for the 1080P DLPs or LCOS sets, that's about all you can do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.