AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally sat down and tried to get 1080i running on my HTPC. I have been using a custom resolution with 540p timings and have heard lots of good things about 1080i.

The first road block was expected, I needed to create a monitor.inf file. So I went into PS and did this using 1920 and 1080 as the maximum resolutions for the horizontal and vertical respectively. Then I went over to windows>properties>settings>advanced>monitor to change to the new .inf file. Well I couldn't manage to do this. If I let windows search it obviously picks the .inf file it already has. When I choose the advanced method and told it where to look for the inf file I created with PS, it basically ignored the file I made and still installed the original one (in windows\\inf). Then I got the brilliant idea of saving the inf file that I created as the file my monitor uses (same name and backed up original inf file). When I rebooted something strange happened, with the mouse on the right side of the screen the windows desktop shifted to the left and the start button appeared on the right side of the screen. So the windows desktop was wrapping around with a black bar in between. At this point I realized that I didn't know what the hell I was doing and put the old monitor.inf file back.

So I need a little help on this one.

System: Windows ME, Radeon LE, 7093 drivers, PS3 build 124.

John Moschella

[This message has been edited by John Moschella (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Select the Sony Monitor GDM-W900 as your monitor and uncheck Automatically Detect Plug & Play monitors. With this monitor one can easily attain 1920x1080i.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imws, I will try that out.

Does anyone know what caused the wrapping deal?

John Moschella

·
Registered
421 Posts
John,

Back in ancient times, before Radeon became capable of custom T&R, I was running my HTPC at 848x480p with Radeon driver 4.12.3056. Then I decided to experiment with 1920x1080i, which was even at that time supported by Radeon. On my first attempt I got what you just described: virtual desktop. So, I created custom monitor .inf file through PS3 and the problem went away.

But, a bit later I decided to "upgrade" to a newer driver, I believe the 7072 was the latest at that time. After doing that I had 1920x1080i working fine, but 848x480p was showing "virtual desktop" (the shift you described). This is how I learned that not all Radeon drivers are created equal. Some of them had (have?) some resolutions broken and didn't display that resolution properly. At that almost long forgotten time I went back to the 3056 driver and had both resolutions working properly.

So, I suspect that what you are experiencing is a case of driver/resolution incompatibility. Try different drivers or other resolutions. Currently I use 7089 and don't have any problems with this one.

As for custom monitor .inf file, are you sure you are leading windows to the right directory to pick the new file? When one is created by Powerstrip it is placed in PS directory. You have to tell Windows "have disc", then "browse" and then go to Powerstrip directory where your new file should be located. I called mine TW40X80.inf and didn't have any problems with installing it.

Regards,

Leszek.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just a small correction to Leszek's instructions: if you're using a newer build of PS3, it will take you right thru to Device Manager so you don't have to do the Browse>Have disk shuffle...

Also, with the Radeon all custom NNNx480p resolutions seem to result in a virtual desk, but one workaround - I think Karnis originlly proposed it - was to use NNNx484p instead.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leszek and Ashley,

The virtual desktop problem I had was with the 848x480 resolution that I was just checking out, but my other 880x496 worked fine. So I guess I should stay away from 480 .

I'll try again to get the custom inf file to take. I definetly pointed it to the right directory but I don't remember clicking on have disk. 98 works a little different from ME, but I will try again.

Thanks

John Moschella

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.