AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my receiver for a Christmas present to myself. One month in I had a flickering issue while watching TV through my cable box. I came on here and I found out I should use the top two HDMI cable inputs. So I switched it around everything was good till this Monday, and the flicker was back. Thought it was the cable box but while the DVR was paused the TV was still flickering. So I called Denon and they advised me to use component cable with optical audio and I should actually get a better picture (so I bought an optical cable and will try that tomorrow). That's problem number 1.

Second problem started today and its a big one. The whole family is over the surround sound is rocking and within 2 minutes the power shuts down on the reciever. We were watching Transformers 2 on blu ray through the PS3. Powered it back up, one minute goes by, power offs again. Did this at least 5 times and I finally gave up. Every time this happened the power light was blinking red.

Do I have a defective unit?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
1. A work around with cable box HDMI handshake issues is to just connect the HDMI cable from the box to the TV directly with the optical to the 790, or you can do as Denon CSR suggested and connect component/optical to the 790.

2. Your shutdown issue is likely caused because you have speaker wires from one post touching wires on another post. Recheck/rewire all speaker wire both at the speaker posts and the 790 posts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JD, why would the problem only happen while watching the PS3?? I just watched Couples Retreat, surround sound on through the reciever on demand from my cable company and had no idea?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I am just trying to understand. I am going to redo them all tomorrow when I see what the component/optical set up does for me. I know the speaker posts are ok, but I am sure to find something at the receiver, especially since I replaced the subwoofer cable and the house has been shaking a little more then usual. Can I use a better connection for the wires to the terminal on the reciever end? What would I need to upgrade that?

One thing I did notice was the sound for Couples Retreat was in the -10 range on the reciever, is the audio just that bad from the cable box that it doesn't match the blu ray/PS3?

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts