AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my Panasonic EH80 recorder. Once I have downloaded a tv episode, edited the commercials out by using shorten segment, then burn the new episode to a DVD-R, everything seems to go well. I can dub the episode fine, even finalize the disk and it goes well UNTIL the very end. Once the finalizing is completed, a message pops on the screen indicating the disk is not compatible and will no longer play in the EH80!

If I try to play the new disk in the EH80, it will state a message that the disk is unsupported but it will play in my Panasonic DMR ES20 and my DVD-S31.

I thought it might be the media but when I duplicate the dubbing but instead of finalizing it on the EH80, I finalize it on the ES20, it will work and play fine on both the EH80 and ES20.

I'm at a loss as to why finalizing the EH80 causes so much problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Strange but maybe it is the Media? What Brand of discs & "Speeds" are you using? Also does it just do it when you are transfering stuff from the HDD to a dvd-R or does it also not finalize if you record directly to dvd using the Panny's Tuner?

The reason I'm asking about the Tuner vs HDD is maybe the HDD is doing something weird to the disc that is telling your EH80 that it's an unsuported disc?

I have an older Samsung R4000 (A Panny E50 Clone) & sometimes it gives me fits with some of the cheaper media & the 16x speed of the newer discs but it does love TY 4x & 8x discs & for some reason it also loves Sony MIJ 16x discs probably because there TY discs.

I would try one of those DVD Cleaning discs on it first to see what happens & it won't hurt to have one around anyway to use on your other dvd players & recorders to keep them in shape.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As in the previous posting, it may be the media. Before switching to Taiyo Yuden, I used cheap media that would sometimes not even make it to finalizing, freezing up my E80. That being said, the first thing you should do is unplug the unit for five minutes, in case there is a static electric buildup somewhere. If you are near the 250 program storage limit on your HDD, remove some programs. I never used a laser cleaner on my E80, its problems were mostly mechanical and the contacts on the remote control were wearing out as well.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
How full is the HDD? If the drive has too much recorded to it, it can cause problems like this. The hdd has to work too hard when there's alot of material on it. I had this problem on my E85 when the drive was nearly full-I could dub to RAM, but not to an -R disc.

Also, it's been taked about regularly here, so it's surprising to read that you use Shorten segment to perform editing. Many Panny hdd owners say that using shorten segment contributed to issues like this, and advise using a playlist instead. If one must use 'SS', it is recommended to erase the program right away, and not to record something new to the drive. The new recording gets placed in the first open gap on the drive, not at the end of the last recorded show, and that makes the unit work harder than normal when playing back/fast forwarding a show that's scattered across the hdd.

So if you have some RAM, see if you can dub to those, then delete the most recent shows, and try a dub again with and finalize an -R disc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have nothing on the HD, (always defrag at least once per month), have cleaned the burner with a DVD cleaning disk), and have switched differend media (Sony, TDK, etc) and still having the problem.

It will record fine with a RAM disk (of course, no finalizing necessary), and I can freely dub back and forth (RAM to HD and HD to RAM) without problem.

I am occassionally having problems with -R disks I burned a few years ago with the EH80. But, they all play without a problem in my other Panasonic machines.

I have finalized disks burned on my EH80 on my ES 20 and my ES 15 without a problem.

I'm at a loss to find a solution.

While it could be the media, why would disks previously recorded on the EH80 that finalized OK a few years ago not play on the E80 now? They still play on all my other Panny's just fine.

I tend to think there is something in the EH80 that is slightly out of alignment (possible) that fails to finalize properly or being unable to read the previously record disks.

Just can't quite figure out why the previously recorded disks do so well in my other Panny's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts