AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ghosting is now worse. Everytime I play a gamecube game through a madcatz AV/S video cable, (Especially Resident Evil 4) the ghosting gets way worse. Same with Dreamcast, only regular tv and consoles/dvd through the component input look decent. Anything hooked up via composite or s-video that runs at 30fps has "ghost/after images" that are heavily scanlined.

Like everytime I turn, there's like a heavily scan lined afterimage (ghost image) of thin objects (like posts, polls, etc.)And everything kinda blurs up as well. I don't notice this as much with anything else. Could anything be wrong?

Also, on other systems and dvds, on a black background I will notice bright objects "trailing/ghosting" on dark backgrounds as well. Could there be a problem there?

Also now on anything hooked up via s-video or composite, colors also kind of have a "color bled" look to them. Like I can see the lines/areas clearly where the color shifts. What's the problem there?

Would it cost more to repair it? (i still am under warranty for parts and CRT, but not labor) or should I just sell it for $650 or $550 or so and just buy a different/same tv?

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
Two threads?

Two different TV models?

Same problems?

Wow... what a coincidence (and waste of bandwidth)!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I said kv34hs420 because i see people here getting more help on hdtv's then regular tv's so I thought if I used a HDTV model I'd get help quicker. :(

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
yeah... that's a good idea. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmansdc
The ghosting is now worse. Everytime I play a gamecube game through a madcatz AV/S video cable, (Especially Resident Evil 4) the ghosting gets way worse. Same with Dreamcast, only regular tv and consoles/dvd through the component input look decent. Anything hooked up via composite or s-video that runs at 30fps has "ghost/after images" that are heavily scanlined.

Like everytime I turn, there's like a heavily scan lined afterimage (ghost image) of thin objects (like posts, polls, etc.)And everything kinda blurs up as well. I don't notice this as much with anything else. Could anything be wrong?

Also, on other systems and dvds, on a black background I will notice bright objects "trailing/ghosting" on dark backgrounds as well. Could there be a problem there?

Also now on anything hooked up via s-video or composite, colors also kind of have a "color bled" look to them. Like I can see the lines/areas clearly where the color shifts. What's the problem there?

Would it cost more to repair it? (i still am under warranty for parts and CRT, but not labor) or should I just sell it for $650 or $550 or so and just buy a different/same tv?
Try turning your contrast down and use brightness instead to get your picture brighter then see how that works out.

also what picture mode are you using? For a sony i would use PRO mode.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I turned up the contrast and brightness too high. (85%), sharpness to max, and clearedge to High.

I should have given the set about 5 to 6 months before doing that.

I leave it on vivid mode. For TV however I use pro mode. Or does pro mode with the same settings look better then vivid on the same settings?

Also, if none of these things fix it, would you recommend I sell it for about $250 or so and get a replacement (probably I'd get the FS320 model.) but that'd cost me $350. Still I'd have a better model and it'd be a brand new tv with prolly no problems. or take it to a repair shop and get it repaired for $150? (Parts and CRT are free still.) The ghosting came after it came back from the repair shop the first time. But now the warranty has passed and I've waited too long to send it back.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Not a good idea posting incorrect information about a tv, Had me worried that my tv might have ghosting sense i have the hs line of Sony.

But if you have a DVD with thx optimizer (star wars dvds, disney dvds) to name a few then use it to set your brightness and contrast. If you don't have anything like that then put a image of a black shirt or something with black and detail and also something white with detail like wrinkles in a shirt or hat and adjust the brightness and contrast to the point where no more detail apears. Also don't set your sharpness so high, Back it down till the picture is detailed but not soft looking and turn off clearedge set to pro mode don't use vivid.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
I know everyone is trying to be helpful but Tmansdc has issues where he tends to break TVs rather quickly

he went through a few earlier this year even after posting and getting similiar replies

"Do not quickly turn on and off the TV as fast as you can"

"Do not use Vivid or turn up the contrast to max"

"Do not flip through the inputs for 20 minutes straight as fast you can"

I think thats why not many will reply to his threads

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ah, I see.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just going to sell it and order that 32" non flat toshiba tube tv that Consumer Reports consistently raves about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.