AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put together my first computer and Im having problems.

I installed everything and fired it up. I used the defalt settings in the bios and loaded my xp cdrom. The problem is I didn't realize I had the xp upgrade. The windows screen came up and it loaded untill it recognized their was not a windows program already installed. So I go and buy the full xp package and now it won't boot from the cd. When the startup test is run from the bios it doesn't seem to detect my hardrive or my dvd/cd player. When I go to the bios setup it does show everything.

When I turn on the computer the asus screen comes on and scans for devices and says none detected. Then I get a screen with the white - but when I try to type something nothing is displayed.

Of course ASUS tech support is gone for the weekend.

I have the ASUS P4P800

P4 2.6

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Check the boot order in the bios, and make sure the CD-Rom is the first boot device. Try using the upgrade CD again-you can still install with the upgrade if you have any of the earlier Windows cd's when asked,just insert the old version cd. Is the Hard drive formatted?

Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll change the boot order. I believe the hard drive is first. Its a western digital hard drive, Its new. My old computers were pre loaded. I do have the old setup disks that came with them but I already got the full windows xp package so that should work.

I did not format the hard drive. Everything is new and I just installed per the motherboard instructions.

Ill go change the boot order and see if that does anything.

thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! That seemed to do the trick. Windows is now formating the drive and doing its thing.

I did not plan on having to buy the XP software. I hope the wife doesn't start to add up the receips.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Enjoy the P4P800. I bought the P4P800 Deluxe, which is the same thing but with two extra IDE ports. I love it; it gets 24/7 uptime with no issues, and Asus regularly updates their BIOS and drivers. Just remember to go to the Asus website to get the newest versions every once in a while.

Since the northbridge is just cooled with a large passive heatsink, unlike the fan many Canterwood and Springdale motherboards have, it requires no modifications for silence; I used a Zalman CNPS 7000 AlCu heatsink/fan for the CPU, a "quiet" version of a 550watt Forton power supply, and Panaflo case fans, and the entire machine is barely audible.

I do recommend that after you have the machine up and running stable, that you go into the BIOS and change some of the defaults to suit your needs. With my own P4P800, I noticed that until I set the memory speed manually, it was running my RAM at DDR320 speeds instead of the full DDR400. It's also always a good idea in general when setting up a new motherboard to disable any onboard components you won't be using in the BIOS--for example, if you won't be using the parallel port and one of the serial ports, disabling them in the BIOS will free up some IRQs. Since one of the serial ports on the P4P800 is just a motherboard header with no output on the I/O shield at the back, it makes sense to disable it and free the IRQ unless you'll be installing an adapter bracket and using the port.

Anyway, enjoy it--it's a great and powerful board, and Asus' service and support is second to none.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I do have the P4P800 Deluxe. This is my first try at this. I upgraded from a Pentium 3 mainly because I bought the fusion hdtv card and was having some problems with stuttering.

Now the HDTV looks great but Im only getting two channels out of my delta 410. Its always fun getting this all set back up.

Also I went from the ATI 7200 to the 9600 but my desktop doesn't look as sharp. I guess I need to go through all the settings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too have a p4p800 deluxe that I'm trying to put up. I just installed the OS (windows xp, sp1). When I installed the M-audio revo 7.1 driver and restarted, I got the infamous windows message "multiple_irp_complete_requests" and now seems to have an unusable windows. Anybody had the same problem and how you fixed it?

thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
read the eula for the software.. i think it states you have 30 days to return it.. the store will balk but if you contact microsoft and explain what happened and give them the new cdkey they will have to take it back per thier eula

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.