AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Echostar 6000. I decided to hook it up to my existing SD TV, to get ready for when the installer comes to hook up the dishes.

To my surprise, I'm not seeing any video at all out of the 6000. I've tried using both the S-video and the composite video outputs. I can't test the HD output, since I don't have an HD monitor yet. I do hear a periodic buzzing noise. The remote control can change the output from HD to SD and back, but the power button doesn't work. And when I power the unit off by hand, the power light blinks, and it looks like it resets and then comes back on.

I've carefully checked all of my cables, etc, and everything seems OK to me. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for a video program, since the satellite input isn't hooked up yet. But I did expect to see a screen saying something like "searching for satellite signal" or "smart card not enabled".

I called Dishnetwork tech support, and they agreed with me that the box was DOA. But when I called another number they gave me to arrange for a return, I was told that the box doesn't produce any video at all until the system is enabled. I also ran into all kinds of finger-pointing regarding the return. Dish says I have to get it exchanged by my dealer, and the dealer (Satellite Depot) says I have to get it from Dish, and wants to charge me $15 for a 3-day express swap that they would arrange for me, even though the box is brand new. The dealer also charged me $150 for an installation certificate, which didn't come with the box, since it was "back ordered" -- seemed odd to me, since it should just be a piece of paper, right? When I mentioned this to Dish, they sounded surprised that my dealer was charging extra for installation.

Compared to my experience with DirecTV, this has been a pretty unpleasant experience so far.

Has anyone seen a similar problem with the 6000 receiver? Since I had more than one person at Dish tell me that I shouldn't expect to see any video until the satellite cable is hooked up, can someone tell me if that's accurate?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am assumming that you have the smart card installed in the 6000.

Have you pressed the "SYSTEM INFO" button? This will show the serial number of both the 6000 and the smart card along with additinoal info.

Lee

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I would wait for your installer to get there and have him check everything out, especially if you are not that familiar with Satellite systems. If the unit is bad I would go back to the Dealer and request them to send another system along with return instructions for the bad unit. The dealer needs to cover these charges. Since at this point the dealer has not delivered what you ordered. I assume you paid for this with a credit card. If the dealer pushes back tell him you are going to advise the credit card company to deny payment for delivery of defective goods.

..Doyle

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeAntin
I am assumming that you have the smart card installed in the 6000.
Yes, the smart card is installed. I've also checked to make sure that it's seated properly.

Quote:

Have you pressed the "SYSTEM INFO" button? This will show the serial number of both the 6000 and the smart card along with additinoal info.
Yes, I tried hitting the System Info button on the STB, as well as the one on the remote. Neither one does anything at all.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The box has a hd/sd switch, no video comes out of s-video when in the hd mode, maybe it is stuck in hd mode.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well obviously the dish pointing screen and signal strength indicator has to be visible before you call to get authorized for programming to verify that you even are locked on one of the satellites to begin with.

As far as Dish's 15 dollar policy on a return, I think that applies if they send out the new one before you send back the old one. And it would be reimbursed once they get your unit. otherwise you could send yours in first to not be charged that fee to begin with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by DoyleS
I would wait for your installer to get there and have him check everything out, especially if you are not that familiar with Satellite systems.
I'm very familiar with satellite systems. I also have an extensive DirecTV system, among other things. It's mainly the E* 6000 that's new for me.

It seems like most dealers (and Dishnetwork) must figure that their customers are idiots, so they are reluctant to agree to a DOA return until an installer has come to make sure that cables are connected properly, etc.

I had one of the Dishnetwork techs tell me to switch the RF output switch on the back from Channel 3 to Channel 4. When I explained that I was using S-video and not RF, he said "it wouldn't hurt to try it". When I further explained that the 6000 doesn't even have an RF output, he said he had to go talk to his supervisor. Sigh.

I'm trying to get the system installed in time to qualify for the Oct 31 deadline for the Dish $9/mo special, so now I'm reluctant to send it back to the dealer until my Dish account is set up, in case they decide to drag their feet for a couple of weeks. Hopefully the installer won't charge me for having to come back a second time.

Good idea about using the credit card company for leverage, although I have to say that my previous experience in that area hasn't been very good.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Another thing I just thought of is the fact that oftentimes you'll use the receivers setup menu to actually figure out the coordinates that the dish needs to be aimed at for your particular location anyway. So there again, you should be able to get some on screen display even before a working satellite feed is connected.

To get to those screens you use the "Menu" button on the remote. I dont think you mentioned trying that. But I suppose you have?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
To get to those screens you use the "Menu" button on the remote. I dont think you mentioned trying that. But I suppose you have?
Yes, I tried the menu button. In fact, I tried every button on the remote. The remote light blinks, but there is still no video output.

Someone I talked to said that the periodic buzzing noise is part of the satellite setup process for the 6000. Is that right?

And is that odd power-off-then-on thing I described earlier sound normal for a new 6000?

Hopefully my HD monitor will arrive soon, and I'll be able to see if it's stuck in HD mode, as Glenn_L suggested.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You don't need the remote to change sd/hd, the box also has a button. The light turns blue in hd mode.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L
You don't need the remote to change sd/hd, the box also has a button. The light turns blue in hd mode.
Yes, I know. It behaves the same, whether I use the remote or the front panel. It alternates between the amber SD light and the blue HD light. But the S-video and composite SD outputs remain black, regardless of the SD/HD setting.

I just can't check the HD output, since I don't have an HD monitor quite yet....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sharkey,

Yes...you do have an HDTV monitor....your PC Monitor will show HDTV.

The problem is that if you are unable to see any video then you will be unable to see any of the menus that you will have to deal with as far as choosing VGA or Component (your PC monitor is VGA only) and such.

Lee

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just installed a new 6000 here. I can tell you for a fact that the SD output is active on a fresh out of the box receiver whether it has an access card installed or whether it has a dish connected to it or not.

The HD output, on the other hand, may or may not work correctly before it sees the satellite and downloads the software upgrade. Also, you may have to adjust the HD output using the SD menus first.

I think Dish recommends doing all the setup with the SD and getting the initial download and reset before you mess with the HD setup menus.

You can switch back and forth between SD and HD from the front panel. SD is on when the amber light is lit and HD when the blue light is lit. The menu can be accessed from the front panel too.

If you have the 8VSB tuner cartridge, you might want to pull that out (unplug first). I seem to remember something about the receiver having to take the initial software download first before it knows what to do with that.

So, if you have the 8VSB out of the receiver and it is switched to SD mode and you cannot get any menus at all something may be amiss.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Mongo
I just installed a new 6000 here. I can tell you for a fact that the SD output is active on a fresh out of the box receiver whether it has an access card installed or whether it has a dish connected to it or not.
Thanks; this confirms what I was trying to tell the people at Dish Network.

I don't have the 8VSB module yet -- I'm still looking for someone who can install an outdoor antenna on my roof. I'm hoping the Dish installer will be able to help me.

FrankS, where did you hear that the $9 promotion has been extended? The Dishnetwork web site still says 10-31-01.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.