AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just joined this site and just wanted to say that I found this extremely helpful with several questions I had.

For all of those people out there who may be experiencing a problem with the nightly call to download the RTV channel guide, here's what seemed to work for me:

I have a panasonic HS1000 and it was never very reliable when connecting at night - I kept getting messages saying the server never answered (even though I could hear it when using a speakerphone). Well, it finally got annoying enough that I called tech support. After 3 "try this" requests, I spoke with someone who told me that he had seen where excessive heat would cause some funky things. I had my player in an entertainment center with a fair amount of space around it for ventilation. I tried turning the machine off at night for a few nights (since I had the habit of leaving it on) like the tech said, but to no avail. Well, a few days ago I decided to move it to the top of my entertainment center so it would have as much ventilation room as possible. So far, so good (I still turn it off at night).

Hopefully, this is not coincidence and it is finally fixed for good! Beats the last tech's suggestion of sending the unit back to Panasonic service and have them charge me a minimum of $140.00 to say "Yep, it's broke" or "Nope, it's not."

Jared

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Glad this worked out for you. Heat does strange things to these machines.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
glad this worked for you - but both my SS's are extremely well cooled and still have connection problems

they were well cooled in the months when they connected flawlessly and are still well cooled now that the modem hangs up every night

i'm convinced something changed about 2 months ago to cause so many people to develop connection problems at the same time

but maybe this will help out a few people - and it never hurts to make sure your replay isn't overheating

·
Registered
535 Posts
Unless the tech told you to unplugg the unit, turning it off will not keep it cooler- just compare the power consumption of the on and off unit, from Panasonic's website - you'll see it makes no difference- the hard drive producing most of the heat and consuming most of the power is on all the time...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
i'm convinced something changed about 2 months ago to cause so many people to develop connection problems at the same time
True...I would have to agree that something strange must have happened since there have been so many simultaneous problems reported.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My nightly hangups problem got better (not perfect) without doing anything. I noticed the pause-ad showed up about the time the nightly download started working on their own. About this same time, Replay finally answered my email about the problem. Saturday and Sunday's downloads failed, so I tried the following on Sunday afternoon. Monday and Tuesday's download worked. Not enough time has gone by to say it has been fixed completely, but it never worked before. Hope this helps.

Ray

I did post this same (potential) solution on one of the other threads, but in case some people missed it, here it is again.

The following is from Replay (They do answer their e-mail, although it took a month to get this; their backlog must be immense).

Steps:

The procedure to connect to RTVS manually is as follows:

1) Press MENU on the ReplayTV remote.

2) Select 'Setup' in the menu.

3) Select 'Change Dialing & Input Settings.'

4) Select 'Continue' to get past phone number to the ZIP Code screen.

5) Select 'Stop' to clear ZIP Code.

6) Select 'Left Arrow' to go back to Telephone Number.

7) Select 'Stop' to clear Telephone Number.

8) Re-enter Area code + first 3 digits of Telephone Number

9) Select 'Continue to Zip code

10) Re-enter Zip Code.

11) Continue to Prefix

12) Enter Prefix if required

ReplayTV will now connect to the RTVS to download the current channel

guide information. If connection fails, wait an hour and try to connect

again.

Connection problems that last longer than a few hours should be considered

for escalation.

If you have any additional questions, please refer to the ReplayTV Hook-Up

Buddy and Online FAQ located on the ReplayTV's Customer Care pages at
www.replaytv.com.

Best Regards,

Mark

Customer Care

ReplayTV, Inc.
www.replaytv.com

·
Registered
712 Posts
Please check this thread for a potential solution:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=86098

For a very lengthly thread on these connection problems, please check this thread... at least take a look at this thread and you'll realize you are not alone:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=36846

After trying the solution, I now get nightly

"access numbers have changed"

messages, which is annoying, but at least I know the guide downloaded OK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dyker
Please check this thread for a potential solution:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=86098

For a very lengthly thread on these connection problems, please check this thread... at least take a look at this thread and you'll realize you are not alone:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=36846
Well, I guess it does make me feel better that I'm not alone, however it's so frustrating to think that I paid several hundred dollars for this piece of equipment and it lasted about 8 months. And Panasonic's advice is to send it in to their service department and pay a minimum of 140.00 dollars for them to look at it - and you know what they'll say - that there's nothing wrong with it.

I haven't even been able to do a force net connect lately.

What a bummer....

It would be interesting to know how many people on here have problems connecting and where they live. Perhaps if someone sent a list of "problem units" to Panasonic/Replay, that might get some attention. I know someone said they contacted them before though and pointed them at this URL...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Here's what worked for me.

I was having problems that were reported as an inability to connect. I was getting this once a night, which I found puzzling, as I thought the unit would keep trying every hour or so.

About the same time I came into possession of a new ShowStopper. During setup I noticed that the numbers for my area were different than those on my old 2020, which of course makes no sense as they live in the same room.

So, I changed the virtual location on the Replay to another area, then changed the location back to my area, and then the same numbers that were on the SS then loaded into the Replay, and both units now work fine using the new number, which I never would have known about any other way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.