AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Forgive me for newbie questions - pretty new to vinyl - and i am having some issues upgrading the crappy sounding stock cartridge on my denon dp-300f turntable.

so - the sound quality on the stock cartridge - while not great - did not have any imperfections like constant pops. reliable sound - just poor in terms of quality.

was looking for a good but inexpensive upgrade - so i settled on the ortofon red. but i am having two issues:

1. i am getting light pops in the audio when playing back records with the ortofon red installed. very light - but it is there and happening every 5 seconds or so. didnt have this happen with the stock cartridge/stylus. this is very annoying. what could be causing this? i have tracking weight set at 1.8 grams as per ortofons recommendation.

2. this may be related or not - but i used fine needlenose pliers to remove the 4 wires from the old cartridge. i used the same ones to attach those 4 wires to the new ortofon. three of them went on fine - firmly attached to the ends of the ortofon. but one of them is not firmly on.

it is on - but if it would be exposed to a light pull it would come right off. any recommendations for getting it to go on firmly so i dont have to worry about it causing an issue?

thanks for all your help! and sorry for the newbie questions!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi all! Forgive me for newbie questions - pretty new to vinyl - and i am having some issues upgrading the crappy sounding stock cartridge on my denon dp-300f turntable.

so - the sound quality on the stock cartridge - while not great - did not have any imperfections like constant pops. reliable sound - just poor in terms of quality.

was looking for a good but inexpensive upgrade - so i settled on the ortofon red. but i am having two issues:

1. i am getting light pops in the audio when playing back records with the ortofon red installed. very light - but it is there and happening every 5 seconds or so. didnt have this happen with the stock cartridge/stylus. this is very annoying. what could be causing this? i have tracking weight set at 1.8 grams as per ortofons recommendation.

2. this may be related or not - but i used fine needlenose pliers to remove the 4 wires from the old cartridge. i used the same ones to attach those 4 wires to the new ortofon. three of them went on fine - firmly attached to the ends of the ortofon. but one of them is not firmly on.

it is on - but if it would be exposed to a light pull it would come right off. any recommendations for getting it to go on firmly so i dont have to worry about it causing an issue?

thanks for all your help! and sorry for the newbie questions!
did you set the turntable up for the stylus beyond just setting tracking wt ? A lot of times what it sounds like your saying is static , maybe from dry cleaning dust off the lp ? a decent brush would help there. I wouldn't be happy with a loose connection so I would carefully attempt to get that squared away . A good cart will let you hear not just perfection but imperfections . also id recommend anti static sleeves if you have lots of static/rugs ect and a decent stylus cleaner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts