AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until recently, I had an old Sony Sat B1 connected to the original round dish, and a Sony Sat A-55 connected to an oval 2-LNB dish. I had no issues with this setup - all worked fine.

I recently purchased the HNS HTL-HD (as a 3rd receiver) and DTV installed a Phase III dish. I removed the other two older dishes. There are no splitters, multiswitches, etc in the path - each receiver is connected directly to one of the outputs on the Phase III LNB.

The signal to the HTL-HD is great on all three Sats, and programming comes in just fine.

However, I cannot get the A-55 to lock on Sat A. There are SOME transponders that have a locked signal on Sat A, but the unit alway seems to choose one that does not have a signal, so I get no programming. The "system test" shows everything as working fine, and I can get the handful of channels that live on Sat B and Sat C with no issue - so I'm pretty sure the cabling is all fine. I've noticed at times that the signal for Sat A will appear, lock, then go away. Each time I do get a signal, it's in the high 80's in strength.

The Sony Sat B1 also "bounces" signal strength, but seems to be able to tune into the channels without issue, though I'm sure something isn't quite right here either.

The installer tried different LNB's on the Phase III dish, and we did a large amount of cable swapping, etc. to no avail.

Thoughts? Things to try? Known issues combining older units on the Phase III dish (the Sat B1 is unaware of different dish types)?

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's less than 100', and I've even tried moving the receiver even closer (both to rule out distance and cabling issues). And, the fact that I get good signals on Sat B and Sat C, and some transponders on Sat A is confusing to me...

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
732 Posts
There are some known issues with Phase III dishes and older Sony satellite receivers. It's time to upgrade your old Sony.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the old B1 is pretty dated - but I would hope the A55 is still OK.

In any event, after much fussing and fighting, I put my old 2 LNB oval dish back up and connected the old Sony units to it. Works fine now.

I still want to figure out what is going on here...

My old B1 (which had been connected to its original round dish) still shows the signal bouncing on several transponders. However, it works fine.

The A55 seems to work great on the 2 LNB oval dish.

The HTL-HD was working fine all by itself on the Phase III dish too, then started losing signal - it was bouncing the same way (but not as bad) as the A55 was. I change the connection to a different LNB port - and all seems fine now. Not sure what is going on here... I know the installer tried a different LNB when he was here (I know this for sure because he never put the screws back in the LBN mount, nor did he ground two of the cables, or tighten all of the bolts, or clean up his mess, but that's a different story).

????

Jeff

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've heard that you can buy an old 2x or 3x multiswitch connected to 2 of the PIII outputs, and that multiswitch will only output sat A.

Otherwise, D* will sell you a new standard receiver for $50, or you can pickup a D*Tivo for $100

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know this is a month old, but I had a similar issue with a Sony receiver (B65? can't remember). What got it to work was manually setting the dish type, switch and stacker parameters. When I did this, I was able to find the right combination that gave me all the transponders on Sat A, B and C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.