Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" files:

I had been running DX8.1 with Catalyst 2.3 drivers and Powerstrip 3.2 on WinXP home successfully. Then, like a moron, I decided it was time to update my drivers/software. So, I upgraded to DX9, Catalyst 3.2 and Powerstrip 3.3. Of course, it ruined my custom resolution (1024x436). So, I went back into Powerstrip and redefined my resolution and it still doesn't work.

My question is, has anyone else experienced similar problems with this combination of software/drivers? If so, how was it resolved? Do I need to go back to the prior versions I was running successfully on? Will that be a major headache?

Also, was there a specific order I needed to install the software in? I think I installed DX first, then Catalyst, then Powerstrip.

Oh, and if it matters, I'm using a Radeon 7200 card.

Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Gene

·
Registered
930 Posts
This may not be very helpful but when you update video drivers, it erases the custom resolutions that you had installed so you definatly had to re-write them. Check the pstrip forum also for help.

FREAK!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
After a driver change, you must reenter your custom resolutions. From the custom rez screen, click "user defined", then highlight your custom rrez, then click "add new resolution".

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. When I said "So, I went back into Powerstrip and redefined my resolution and it still doesn't work.", I meant that I reentered my custom resolution (in this case 1024x436).

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

-Gene

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just tried this tonight and am having the same kind of problems. I have been trying to get Powerstrip to accept the same settings i was using previously (it was Catalyst 3.1). No matter what I do in powerstrip I can't get the old settings to function. When I put in the new resolutions using the default settings from powerstrip 1280x720 HDTV I get refresh rates saying they are in the 19khz range?????

I finally got it to accept a custom resolution with a 45khz/60hz horizontal/vertical timing but if I try and change any setting at all, like front porch or back porch the projector (VP-12S1) refuses to sync. It just goes nuts showing a rolling mess of lines. Luckily I had a ghost image and I am back to Catalyst 3.1

This is wordy but I wanted to back you up with my observations.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your post xuniman. Glad to know I wasn't the only one with problems.

However, I tried again last night and lo and behold, I got it to work! I really didn't do anything differently, but I did notice that the first couple of times I tried to reenter the my custom resolutions and reboot, the powerstrip program would not close itself down. Perhaps when I forced it to end, the settings were not saved. It was either that or the fact that I deleted my saved custom rez, rebooted, and then recreated it (and rebooted again).

Anyway, all is well again. Thanks for everyone's help.

Good luck xuniman.

-Gene

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.