AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this issue has already been addressed, but I can not seem to find a specific answer.

I have recently purchased the RCA257 up-converting DVD player from Walmart, and using the supplied hdmi cable and a monster hdmi to dvi adapter, have the player connected to a Hitachi 50v500 lcd rear projection tv.

My problem is that no matter what the resolution is set to (420p, 720p, or 1080i) the DVD plays for maybe a second and then there is a bunch of colored snow, ( if that makes sense). As soon as I pull out the hdmi cable from the DVD player and plug it back in, it works fine. But as soon as I try to put a new DVD in (without turning anything off or changing anything on the tv) it does the same exact same thing until the HDMI cable is pulled out of the DVD player and pushed back in.

My question is, could this be because of the fact I am using an hdmi cable with an adapter for dvi, or is it something with not getting a proper "handshake". According to Hitachi the tv is HDCP compliant, and I have gone through turning off the tv while the DVD player is on, and turning off and back on the DVD player after the tv is on, with no luck.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sounds like HDCP handshake problem. Try to update your player's firmware (Google). Try another DVD player.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Just bumping this back up because I just came across the same problem...

Upon getting the player I was excited to have a cheap upconverting player. I hooked it up and if I go to the menu screen the picture is rock solid in every HDMI output format, 480p, 720p and 1080i. But.. once the DVD starts to play that where things crap out.

The picture is fine for 2 or 3 seconds then is replaced by the "snow".

What I've found is that I believe it's the RCA player and not my Pio Elite RPTV. However a Philips LCD doesn't show the same problem. My guess is that there's some issue with the RCA HDMI output that doesn't stabilize for 3-5 seconds after a video starts to play.

The way I confirmed my finding was to start the DVD playing and after the TV displays snow I turn it off. Then turn the TV back on. The TV has no problem staying locked to the signal after that.

The strange thing is.... I'm running a HDMI to DVI cable. I don't know anything about DVI HDCP and HDMI HDCP. But, would copy protection be an issue if turning the TV off and on makes everything work?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Well, I've got more info in case anyone else has ever seen this problem and looking for ideas...

The DRC-257 is doing something strange. My guess is that it's a DHCP issue, but that's a dumb guess. I've confirmed my findings on the Pio RPTV connected with a HDMI/DVI cable with different equipment.

I've used the following DRC-257 connected to two different DVI display devices. One with DVI-HDCP and the other I'm not sure of.

Display

Pioneer Elite PRO-650

Planar 21" LCD computer monitor

Wiring:

Radio Shack gold HDMI-DVI cable

RCA pack-in HDMI cable and Monster Ultra HDMI-DVI converter

Any configuration yields the same results.

Copy protected DVDs show 1-2 seconds of protected video then switch to snow.

UnCopy protected DVDs show 1-2 seconds before, show a flash of snow and then back to the video.

If either Display is power cycled after the "snow" starts the picture is fine for the entire DVD playback, but once the DVD player does whatever it does to stop/start video the problem resurfaces. Again problem can be corrected with power cycling the display.

I'm at a loss, but RCA's support team is looking into the issue. And it took a lot of work to get behind the front line of support. Even then I'm not 100% confident the facts are being passed on correctly...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.