Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm in the market to get a new TV, and I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum the last few days (very informative stuff!). My budget is around $2500, and wanted something around 50". I was pretty much set on the Hitachi 51SWX model, until I started reading all these posts about burn-in issues. I've always known about burn-in issues with RPTV's, but I never realized it was such a huge problem! Having to watch regular TV in fat mode (which I presume is watching a 4:3 ratio program in stretched out 16:9 ratio) sounds downright painful! And not being able to watch certain channels that display station logos for extended periods, not being able to pause a DVD or Tivo for more than a few minutes, problems with playing videogames on them for an extended period of time, etc. I feel like if I get a RPTV, I'm gonna be constantly worrying about this burn-in issue. Is it really this big of an issue, or are people being overly cautious? For example, if I watch standard broadcast cable in 4:3 ratio a few hours a night, is that guaranteed to cause burn-in after a while? What are my other options for my price range for something without such worries? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Samsung DLP 50" HLN507W is available at PC Richards (in NY/NJ area) for ~$2800. No burn-in issues. It is a great TV!!!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Search on my posts about burn in and you will learn it is simply not such a big problem. Ugabuga's post above is also an excellent summary on the topic.

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the common sense things not to do? Up until recently, I hadn't realized that it's suggested to watch 4:3 content in 16:9 mode to avoid burn-in. Something like this seems completely unacceptable to me. Same with people avoiding channels that have station logos?! I mean, I can deal with not pausing TiVo and DVD's for extended periods of time, but limiting what channels/shows I can watch and having to watch stuff in fat mode is just too intrusive. If the only pre-cautions I took were to not pause things for an extended period of time, and if I used the TV for 70% TV, 15% video games, and 15% DVD's, am I running a high risk of burn-in?

Also, what is the Samsung DLP? I've read briefly about the different kinds of rear projection TV's, and it seems like the options are CRT, DLP, LCD, and LCOS (I'm not sure about this one). And from what I read, it sounds like only the CRT one's have burn-in issues? Is this correct? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type?

Thanks for the great help!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Globetro
What are the common sense things not to do? Up until recently, I hadn't realized that it's suggested to watch 4:3 content in 16:9 mode to avoid burn-in. Something like this seems completely unacceptable to me. Same with people avoiding channels that have station logos?! I mean, I can deal with not pausing TiVo and DVD's for extended periods of time, but limiting what channels/shows I can watch and having to watch stuff in fat mode is just too intrusive. If the only pre-cautions I took were to not pause things for an extended period of time, and if I used the TV for 70% TV, 15% video games, and 15% DVD's, am I running a high risk of burn-in?

Also, what is the Samsung DLP? I've read briefly about the different kinds of rear projection TV's, and it seems like the options are CRT, DLP, LCD, and LCOS (I'm not sure about this one). And from what I read, it sounds like only the CRT one's have burn-in issues? Is this correct? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type?

Thanks for the great help!
Well setting the picture/contrast up real high causes burn in. From everything I've read, turning down the picture/contrast and doing a baseline calibration when you get the set is the first step to preventing burn in. Most TV logos won't hurt your TV, most are see through or move or have some animation that occurs randomly. Logos like the one Nick at night has for example, CAN hurt your TV eventually. As for 4:3 mode, I don't use it much at all, so I can't comment on how it effects burn in other than what I've read, which is basically that if you limit watching in 4:3 mode you'll be ok (ie, vary things a little, couple hours in 4:3, then couple in 16:9).

CNET has a good rundown on the different TV types to give you a quick idea:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...464-4.html?dir

hope this link works, if not you can find it on their page yourself.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Fine, don't search on my posts.

Have you even seen current stretch modes? Many sets have a non-linear mode that is not the least bit obtrusive.

Have you tried to calibrate a set with Avia (turning down brightness and contrast)? The results are actually better than the out-of-the-box settings.

You do not have to worry at all about logos unless you watch the same channel almost exclusively.

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rogo: I did search on your posts, and it returned just a few results. But it seems like the more I read, the more varying reports there are... from people who use their RPTV's many hours a day doing everything you "shouldn't do" in regards to burn-in and experiencing no probs, to people who religiously follow anti-burnin guidelines and still have problems. I'm starting to think I should just wait another half year and see how these new non-burn-in susceptible technologies pan out.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Use the Slowest Search option when you search.

I hate to be a turkey, but there is simply no one who is following the guidelines and experiencing burn in. It is hard to burn in a modern television that is calibrated and not allowed to display static images for hours. It is hard.

Mark

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I hate to be a turkey, but there is simply no one who is following the guidelines and experiencing burn in. It is hard to burn in a modern television that is calibrated and not allowed to display static images for hours. It is hard.
That's great news if it works out that way.

I originally bought a Sony KP-65WV70. I liked the picture but did not like the stretch modes (they looked odd and added artifacts to a picture already heavy in artifacts), HATED the gray bars and then was told all sorts of horror stories about burn-in. So when that one died after only 48 hours and the replacement showed up with a horrible picture quality (everything was about about 1/4") I sent it back and decided to give the Sony KP-60XBR800 a shot, which is their LCD GWII TV.

It has no burn-in, can watch 4:3 in 4:3 with completely non-annoying black bars and displayed a crisper picture for Tivo menus, guides and such. The problem was that it had dead pixels that I could see from 12' away and I literally could not watch hockey on it (or anything with a lot of motion) due to typical LCD motion blur. Others don't seem to be as impacted by it as I am.

So, it's going back today and a Pioneer Elite RPTV is coming in its place. I decided to give it a shot as my last attempt to replace my 36" XBR 4:3 TV. Burn-in be damned, etc. I HEAR it does a better job at displaying standard TV than most and has a great picture otherwise. I own and use Avia and will likely get the set calibrated in a few months after it settles in. I'm really looking at the next generation of LCOS (Sony's SXRB) as the possible total solution for me but suspect the right solution will be 3 years away. So, if I can just get a solid 3 or more years out of this set without burn-in issues I think I'll be happy.

Sounds like this just might work after all.

And Rogo, since you know the posts in question better than the rest of us, how about pointing us to a URL?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There are countless threads on this topic, here and in the plasma forum. The site has a search option and if you use the Slowest Search you will find a lot of these discussions.

You can buy a burn-in free TV and enjoy it. I'm not saying you shouldn't. I'm saying that fear of burn in is wildly in excess of rationality. And there needs to be a voice of reason.

I say this despite currently having no burn-in susceptible products in use. So it's not like I'm trying to convince myself of something.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.